Reference on Formation Lights on B-17 and B-29

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
Does anyone have a good link or source for how the formation lights were used on B-17's and B-24's and B-29's during WW2 Formation bombing? I am curious as to what they meant and how the formations were constructed and maintained in flight. What aides other than formation lights? Were those lights effective in daylight? I have often seen references to a formation ship. This seems to be an aircraft painted rather differently and used for the flight to form up on initially but I have never read a good description of how the nuts and bolts of formation flying was achieved.

Right now I'm sitting in the middle of nowhere grading 3ft ruts and trying to make whiny drivers happy but if you Google Image "assembly aircraft" you might have better like finding photos. There are some pretty bizarre schemes on B-17s and -24s. WW P-47s were also used but maintained regular camo

Forgot to mention that there is a book called "Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth". Also, the P-47s weren't so much assembly ships but were more like sheep dogs, herding strays to the right formations

Here's a pick of the book cover...

Capture1.PNG

I never gave any thought on how bombers gathered into formation in the Pacific part of the war. Hopefully someone can post some info before I get home

Forgot to mention that there is a book called "Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth". Also, the P-47s weren't so much assembly ships but were more like sheep dogs, herding strays to the right formations
I will see if I can find that one, thanks! I am also interested in the use of the formation lights in the tails of bombers. I assume there was some significance to which colors were used and which lights were lit while in formation. I know there were some "friendly fire" incidents where collisions or dropping bomb loads on a lower aircraft happened but as far as I can tell they were remarkably rare.

I just found this, its post WWII but you might find it interesting.
Interesting read, although specific to fighters. Found a couple of sources online but the weird thing is both purport to be from B-17 Pilots and both contradict each other. I may hazard a guess that each unit developed its own usage?

Will keep digging. Have no real reason, just curiosity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back