F6F Hellcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Versatile

Airman
Jun 3, 2005
On July 16,1951 a F6F taking off from Vichy field north of Rolla Mo lost power and went down in a creek. The pilot walked away only slightly injured. Ihave been to Rolla and read an old newspaper account about the crash. Haven't been able to ever find out about where it went after the crash. Have been to the crash site and nothing there. Talked to a girl that lived on the farm next door. She was told about it when she came home from college. Most people at Vichy airport arrived after 1953 and have no knowledge of it. Most all other area residents are dead or were in nursing homes when i was there about 1993 or so. Went to the sheriffs department and inquired there. I was told to go upstairs and meet this guy. He was very serious(and suspicious of me) in asking me why i wanted the records. Got nothing. It seems that when a sheriff left office then so did all the past records of his administration. Went to the Hiway Patrol in Jefferson City and they had no information at all(they were nice).
Should anyone have any info it would be appreciated.

I'm not surprised that there's nothing to be found at the crash site. Generally, unless in an inaccessible place, recovery vehicle wise, such as a mountain or in deep water, they tend to pick up the pieces hand haul them away.

You should try the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/

Go to the bottom and click to contact the PAO. He/She should be able to tell you what to do to submit an official request for the report.

Rich

R Leonard said:
I'm not surprised that there's nothing to be found at the crash site. Generally, unless in an inaccessible place, recovery vehicle wise, such as a mountain or in deep water, they tend to pick up the pieces hand haul them away.

You should try the Naval Safety Center in Norfolk.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/

Go to the bottom and click to contact the PAO. He/She should be able to tell you what to do to submit an official request for the report.

Rich

Rich, there's a guy in the main forum thats looking for info on VMF- 113 I think he would appreciate your help.

wmaxt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back