F8F Bearcat Engine Performance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lutalica

Recruit
Aug 25, 2018
Hey guys.
Would anyone here have any information on the F8F's engine performance and output on W.E.P.
Ive looked through the navy's SAC data and the pilots flight manual and couldn't find anything consistent online.
I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, im trying to figure out and locate proof that the Bearcat was able to produce 2800bhp using w.e.p.

Thanks for your help.

From info that I pulled from"R-2800 Pratt & Whitney's Dependable Masterpiece" by Graham White The highest "Military HP" rated engine used in the F8F was the R-2800 -30W which was rated at 2250, these numbers being supplied by P&W. Not sure if the "Military" rating is the equivalent of W.E.P. Of note on page 228 of this book the author states: "it may be noted that some of the military ratings appear to be low compared to previously published figures. As an example, R-2800s powering P-47 Thunderbolts are often quoted as developing 2800 horsepower. This may have been true: however, to generate this much power, the recommended manifold pressure is exceeded. And in the heat of combat it can be safely assumed that this is what occurred. For engines with automatic boost controls, it was not unusual for crew chiefs to "tweak" its adjustment to allow greater than recommended manifold pressure."

Hope this helps

Refer to the thread in the "Engines" section for a general discussion of R-2800 HP ratings. P-W may not have had W.E.R. for some engines since it required testing and certification from the AAF
R-2800-34 vs. 34w

Hey guys.
Would anyone here have any information on the F8F's engine performance and output on W.E.P.
Ive looked through the navy's SAC data and the pilots flight manual and couldn't find anything consistent online.
I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction, im trying to figure out and locate proof that the Bearcat was able to produce 2800bhp using w.e.p.
Thanks for your help.

Hello,
The SAC, containing informatons on engine at WER and according performance of the F8F-1 is here: link
F8F-2, with WER: here

Refer to the thread in the "Engines" section for a general discussion of R-2800 HP ratings. P-W may not have had W.E.R. for some engines since it required testing and certification from the AAF
R-2800-34 vs. 34w

AAF was not in charge for USN engines.

Hello,
The SAC, containing informatons on engine at WER and according performance of the F8F-1 is here: link
F8F-2, with WER: here

AAF was not in charge for USN engines.
Of course, thanks for the correction. Do you have details of any testing the Navy did to assign WER? I've seen some of the test requirements used by the AAF for WERs.
Thanks

Armin,
I have not seen any official documentation that supports
the 2800 hp. The 1949 SAC publishing does state 2750 hp.
at S.L. and 2450 hp. at 9,600 ft. but this is at a boost of
70" Hg. manifold pressure that was not used in WW2.
The 1 June 1945 gave the F8F-1's WEP if it had entered
WW2, 2380 hp./S.L., 2400 hp./1,000 ft., 1790 hp./ 9,500 ft.
and 1850 hp./15,500 ft. I am guessing that was at about
65"Hg boost.

Goodyear F2G vs Grumman F8F Bearcat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back