FAA Fairey Swordfish 823 Squadron (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aug 19, 2022
18th of Mai 1940, the Fleet Air Arm performed their first mining sortie in Norwegian waters.

The Operation was named BOTTLE, and six 823 Squadron Swordfish Mk.I dropped their mines in Karmsundet, the sound between Haugesund and Karmøy. They used a long range fuel tank in the observer's position. 823 squadron was operating from Hatston/Orkney.

One aircraft went missing and an other one force landet on the return. The Germans obviously did not open fire when the mines were dropped.

As far as I understand, the 823 Squadron normally belonged to the HMS Glorious, which shortly after was sunk in the North Sea - returning from the fighting in the northern parts of Norway.

The 823 squadron code letters are however very difficult to find in any sources - known to me.... I hope that anyone might give me a clue.

The code might be 4A?

Kind regards Øystein

While the squadron belonged to the HMS Glorious in 1940 the code of the unit was G4. Then the single letter for each of the squadron Swordfish came. Eg. G4P, G4R, G4Q. The code was applied on underwings while the abbreviation of it on the fin.

Here the example G4Q , G4B ..

1642504008884-png.png

1642504196253-png.png

the source: Fairey Swordfish

Thank you so much 👍
It is interesting to see the camouflage scheme, and the codes underneath the upper wings.
The Tamiya 1/48 kit is getting ready soon, including some resin parts - Belcher Bits A Mine and a Fuel Tank from MDC.
Maybe the decals are going to be a challenge….?

By the way. Do we know, when the 823 Swordfishes were given the Temperate Sea Scheme? Is it possible that this happened some time after 18. Mai 1940?

By the way. Do we know, when the 823 Swordfishes were given the Temperate Sea Scheme? Is it possible that this happened some time after 18. Mai 1940?

The camouflage on wing tops and fuselage sides and undersides was started to be applied with the plane s/n P3991 on 15th June 1939 . In August 1939 the same camo was introduced for all earlier made planes. In May 1940 the fin Flash on the fins was introduced. Initially no size for that marking was said. But in December 1940 the shape was ordered to be 60x69cm.

I guess decals might be difficult to find for the camouflage scheme.

I see.

I understand, that all RAF and FAA aircraft was given a camouflage scheme, according to the wartime regulations, as quickly as possible.
Thank you again for your speedy response!

Yes, the camouflage was applied in a factory. So all just made kites got it. These that were already in service got it as soon as possible at the unit workshops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back