Fabric Covered Control Surfaces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was at POF over the weekend and Fighter Rebuilders was servicing a P-38L. All the control surfaces were aluminum, so there is one...
I wonder if the earlier models had all aluminum control surfaces?

Last edited:
I was at POF over the weekend and Fighter Rebuilders was servicing a servicing a P-38L. All the control surfaces were aluminum, so there is one...
I wonder if the earlier models had all aluminum control surfaces?
I checked some of my books and reference materials and as far as I could see they were. It looks like the XP-38 did not have a rudder trim

So I guess the modified question is; Other than the P-38 were there any WWII aircraft which did not have at least one fabric covered control surface?

This also raises a new question; Why did Lockheed break with what appears to be universal practice at the time, and elect not to use any fabric on the control surfaces?

This also raises a new question; Why did Lockheed break with what appears to be universal practice at the time, and elect not to use any fabric on the control surfaces?
Just look at the P-38 and that will answer your question.

Could have been the fact that they pre-dated the invention of RADAR, but an interesting point nonetheless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back