Factory Color of Hamilton Standard propeller Hub

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DarrenW

Staff Sergeant
Dec 24, 2017
Warren, MI USA
Does anyone have information concerning the factory color of the Hamilton Standard propeller hubs found on P-47s, F6Fs, and F4Us? I realize they were often re-painted by the receiving unit but did the factory paint them the same color as the blades by chance?

Does anyone have information concerning the factory color of the Hamilton Standard propeller hubs found on P-47s, F6Fs, and F4Us? I realize they were often re-painted by the receiving unit but did the factory paint them the same color as the blades by chance?
I have a bunch of old text books from WW2, I think there are a few pics of the HS production line and the hubs were unpainted (bare metal). If anything I think completed prop assemblies had a light coat of anti corrosion compound applied to them, to include the hub

There's photo evidence that some hubs remained unpainted after leaving the airframe manufacturer as well.

0bf374afed8ab3f62cfdfe44639d0da3.jpg

516b96bc2b9d158de722d52f16b89bca.jpg

Last edited:
This is not paint. Late in the war, Hamilton Standard used a conversion coating on their cadmium plating that gave a green color rather than the gold color that we get with today's supplementary chromate treatment. That's a 23E50 barrel in the photo. I've never heard exactly what the treatment was as the only person who seemed to know about it was an old timer who had been in the propeller parts business since the end of WW2.
IMG_1362.JPG

This is not paint. Late in the war, Hamilton Standard used a conversion coating on their cadmium plating that gave a green color rather than the gold color that we get with today's supplementary chromate treatment. That's a 23E50 barrel in the photo. I've never heard exactly what the treatment was as the only person who seemed to know about it was an old timer who had been in the propeller parts business since the end of WW2.View attachment 659732
Good info but I think this conversion coating was applied to spare units - I'm not 100% on this

Good info but I think this conversion coating was applied to spare units - I'm not 100% on this
That particular barrel was from a new prop disassembled for spares by surplus dealer. Being late in the war, it would certainly be possible that not many props were delivered that way but that lots of "war contract termination" parts that went into the surplus market had this finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back