Fake B-26 photo?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
This photo seems to show a LOT of bombs exiting this B-26. Even if these were 250 pounders, I could at least 25-26 bombs in this photo, which would be over 6,000lbs of bombs. That's more than the Marauder could even carry.

What do you guys think?

Fake b-26.jpg

They also had 100lb bombs, pretty useful against vehicles and troops in the open.
It hard to size the bombs in the picture, but the 100 GP was less than 4 feet long, and kinda slim like the bombs pictured,

Also there's 100lb practice bombs in that era, but the bombs pictured look like they have nose fuses.

And as for the cockpit looking empty, at some angles the sun can hit a piece of glass, or Plexiglas, and it will reflect back like a mirror, you can't see thru it.

Last edited:
And as for the cockpit looking empty, at some angles the sun can hit a piece of glass, or Plexiglas, and it will reflect back like a mirror, you can't see thru it.
Looking at the photo and the background, it doesn't appear the sun is a problem.

Another question for my observant friends here. Let's say the bombs are 100 pounders and it could carry this many. Given the distance of the bombs falling from the plane, wouldn't the first bomb out be farther behind the plane? It also appears the B-26 is really spitting those bombs out fast. Would the release mechanism work that fast?

I don't know why I'm so interested in this silly picture. I just think it's all kinds of wrong.

Let's say the bombs are 100 pounders and it could carry this many. Given the distance of the bombs falling from the plane, wouldn't the first bomb out be farther behind the plane? .

No, I don't think so. Bombs obey the laws of physics just like everything else.

bomb.drop.2.jpg

I think that the original photo does show 100lb bombs, I've seen it captioned that way. It has been fiddled with, but just how much I don't know.

Cheers

Steve

Still can't find any freakin' bomb bay dimensions but I did find out about the aircraft in the first post. It was a B-26B-50-MA and belonged to the 387th BG, 556th BS of the Ninth Air Force. I also just read that the Ninth AF always had the rear bomb bays sealed on the B-26. Using Milosh's chart, it states that the forward bomb bay could carry only 20 100lb. bombs, less than shown in the photo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back