Fate of 3 Ju-290's produced late in the war

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Just reading online and one thing led to another and I saw this on the Junkers Ju-290's page on Wikipedia

Germany's Last Ju 290s[edit]
Despite the end of reconnaissance operations from France and the Amerika bomber program, starting in September 1944 three more Ju 290s were constructed for "special purposes" by Junkers. Their works numbers are unknown. What those "special purposes" were, or if they ever came to be, is unknown.[25]

Any idea what these were built for or going to be built for?

Junkers Ju 290 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Three Ju290A-7 aircraft had special bays built to Japanese specifications but never made it to Japan because the airfields in Eastern Europe had just been lost to the Red Army. These were essential for the ferry trip to Japan.

Are these the ones your looking for?

I'm not really sure what Im looking for to be honest, I just was curious what these 3 planes were purposed for that was secretive and where they ended up!

Well, H...it *may* be possible to hunt them down by their airframe numbers.

There were 20 A-7s ordered, but only 13 completed. The WkNmr batch allocated was 10186 through 10205, so that should mean that 10186 through 10198 ended up being built. Not sure which of those three were custom modified to the specs requested by the Japanese, however.

If they weren't able to be ferried to Japan, then it's most likely they were put into service with one of the KG units and eventually destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back