Feasibility of the B-36 during WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I go to the US, certainly gonna "visit" a B-36.

As for the feasibility of the plane in WWII, I think that it would be really practical for nuclear attacks. I don't know how the tactics of SAC worked in the Cold War, but I think that some 20 B-36s conducting simultaneous nuclear bombing of German cities would cause tremendoys physical and psycological impract in Germany. Don't know if the Americans would be willing to use the nukes against Germany, due to fear of radiation in the population and (as perhaps would be perceived at the time) fear of German retaliation with a similar bomber and weapon.

Idea: if intelligence suggested that Hitler was likely in Berlin, it would be worth to nuke the city to kill him? I already heard that his bunker could resist a nuclear blast. But what about some nuclear attacks in question of hours? (this would add a lot of radiation as well).

Personally, I think that the cost in terms of atomic bombs would be too much high. Today, due to Hitler being viewed as "pure evil", my impression that the importance of kill him and cause a German surrender is overestimated.

Hitler, during the last year of WW2, was more of a help to the Allies, , than the axis.
Why kill him? He might be replaced by someone competent.
But, of course anyone competent would have recognized that the war was lost and surrender.

The last few months of WW2 in Europe was so chaotic, the allies probably had little reliable intellegence on exactly where Hitler was and what kind of structure his shelters were.

if intelligence suggested that Hitler was likely in Berlin, it would be worth to nuke the city to kill him?
WWII U.S. Government had no desire to kill Hitler or replace him as German Chancellor. President FDR would have destroyed Germany and other nations of Central Europe even if Mother Teresa was elected Reichskanzler.

I think it was in the Casablanca meeting that the Germany First doctrine was developed and also that the Allies agreed they would not go for less than a unconditional surrender for Germany. Don't know if FDR was soley responsable for that. doesn't seem likely. Churchill and Stalin were far more determined to bring Germany to their knees. Stil Churchill and FDR were fighting the German governement while Stalin did not make much difference beween the German State and the German People.

In the unlikely event that Mother Theresa in her capacity of head of the NSDAP became the new Chancelor of Nazi Germany, I have to agree with your statement though.

Last edited:
I've been fascinated by the B-36 for decades. In the last year I've had the privilege of seeing (and photographing) first-hand three of the four surviving Peacemakers, at Pima in Tucson, Air Force Museum in Dayton, and the Castle Air Museum in California. They are indeed huge, incredible flying machines!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back