Ferrets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
Anyone got one as a pet? As I was leaving for work this morning, the cat was outside, she didn't look very happy, I found out why, there was a ferret sitting in her kennel. It's friendly, I was able to pick it up. It looks like somebody has lost a pet. I gave it some cat food which it ate, then it went back into the kennel, curled up and went to sleep. It was still there when I got home. I gave it a slice of ham, it tore it apart and wolfed it down! :lol:

I printed off some 'Found' notices and posted them in the local stores. But if nobody claims it, it looks like I may have a new pet.

The cat has lost her house for the time being and her nose is still out of joint! She won't go anywhere near it though. One thing I noticed straight away was the smell, the little fecker STINKS! I heard that after cats and dogs, ferrets are the third most popular pets in the US. Anyone here got any advice on how to take care of a ferret? (Apart from wearing bicycle clips!)

Never had one as a pet, but a buddie and his girlfriend had two of them. They were pretty friendly, but as you said they did stink. They kept them in the house and it was the first and only thing you smelled when you walked in.
Watch out for those little teeth as well. They are razor sharp. Was playing with one of them once and thought he was just licking my finger, then when the blood started to come out I realized he had bitten me. Did not even feel it.
They were kind of fun to watch playing and chasing each other around the house, but I would never put up with the smell.

When I was in college, I had two Ferrets. Pablo was a traditional looking ferret (with the raccoon style mask face...) and Meeko was a butterscotch. Great pets, I loved them. I used to put them on a leash and take them for walks outside. The girls love it! :lol:

The cage was always open and they could come and go as they please. They even used litter boxes and everything. Awesome pets!

I can't wait to get 2 more after I move. Of course I will have to keep them away from the snakes.

OK, I did a Google search of Pet Ferrets and this is what they said you will have to put up with if you want to be a Ferret owner;)

"Am I willing to deal with the never-ending search for my missing socks, keys, underwear, sister, etc.?"

Thanks guys, this one is a butterscotch colour, really cute, it's just eaten a big lump of roast beef and has gone back to sleep. My sis was talking to the local vet, he's also put a notice up in his surgery. He said if I keep it, he can remove the gland that causes the smell.

My dogs haven't seen it yet, Jackie the bull terrier would probably try and kill it, Milo the collie would probably try to hump it! I have a section of garden that the dogs don't have access to, so I could build some kind of hutch for it there. I'm beginning to hope i don't get a phonecall from the owner!

My parents had 2 of em in the house and they didnt smell as their glands were removed....

I brought my long haired Dachshund up to Moms house while on leave once, and the dog would not leave the side of the cage.... My dumbass ex couldnt figure out why, till I explained to her that the Dachshund was bred to go into varmit holes and kill them....

I have no doubt that a Bull Terrier WILL kill it as soon as it gets its teeth on it.....

Them Weiner Dogs can be some ferrociouse little devils. My sister has two of them and they get into a lot of mischief. Badger Dogs is what they are called I beleive.
From my little bit of reading those Ferrest need to be played with everyday or they become "Depressed" as the article stated. I can see why, my buddies two seemed to be on the go 24 hours a day.
Good luck, post some picture of the ravenous little bugger.

Anyone got one as a pet? As I was leaving for work this morning, the cat was outside, she didn't look very happy, I found out why, there was a ferret sitting in her kennel. It's friendly, I was able to pick it up. It looks like somebody has lost a pet. I gave it some cat food which it ate, then it went back into the kennel, curled up and went to sleep. It was still there when I got home. I gave it a slice of ham, it tore it apart and wolfed it down! :lol:

I printed off some 'Found' notices and posted them in the local stores. But if nobody claims it, it looks like I may have a new pet.

The cat has lost her house for the time being and her nose is still out of joint! She won't go anywhere near it though. One thing I noticed straight away was the smell, the little fecker STINKS! I heard that after cats and dogs, ferrets are the third most popular pets in the US. Anyone here got any advice on how to take care of a ferret? (Apart from wearing bicycle clips!)
A friend of mine had a Ferret. His cats learned fast to give it a wide berth, a cat is no match for a Weasel.

I've owned two ferrets and really enjoyed owning them. They do need attention and play if they are to thrive. They also require novelty in their environment, otherwise they have a tendency to display obsessive-compulsive behavior. It's important to realize that they are not domesticated to the point that cat and dogs are, and that they are in essence, wild predators.

They are also incredibly stubborn, may bite if startled, and a resort to physical discipline usually only makes them angry or fearful. They're not for people who can't tolerate the occasional nip (Or even death-grip...I've had to pry their jaws off me more than once ;o))

For all that, they can be very playful and loving pets.

In regards to your plan to keep the ferret outside in your yard, you need to know that they are also very accomplished diggers. So you should take serious precautions to prevent it from escaping by tunneling.

JL

EDIT: After a careful introduction, my beagle got along with mine fairly well (The ferrets always gave him a wide berth. And after a few scraps, my big tomcat as well...) I'm not so sure you could ever trust a terrier around them...

You're right JL, they are good escape artists, it was gone when I got back home!

I got a call from the vet asking me had i still got it, because somebody else rang him saying they found a ferret! They live a few streets away from me so i'd say its the same one.

You never know, it may come back for more roast beef!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back