FG-1D Corsair For Sale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rwright142

Airman
Aug 31, 2007
Anyone looking for a restoration project? I just found a Corsair for sale on Barnstormers. Here's a snippet:

FG-1D CORSAIR • $525,000 • FG-1D Incomplete Corsair project for sale. No spares included. • Posted November 12, 2007
-----
Pictures show the tailcone and a wing are not included. I've emailed Brian for some more information and will post his replies.

Yes, and "incomplete" is an understatement. It needs a lot of work, but for someone as passionate as I am about restoring them it would be a labor of love.

I just wish I had the funds...

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 788
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 756
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 700
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 680
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 682
A half a million dollars to buy it, and probably another million (plus)
to get it flyable. And to think, right after WW-II, you could have
bought it for 10 to 15 thousand.

Charles

Yes, and what a shame too.
I just received more information by someone who visited it to potentially buy.
Here's a part of the email:

"It's a very interesting project but missing many critical components including the outer wing panels and wing fold mechanism which were removed with a gas cutting torch. The remains of the airframe was used by a Midwest company to test storm windows. They welded a steel framework between the gear legs and mounted to it a test window. The Corsair engine was then started and water hosed into the prop arc. The combination of wind and water made for a very effective test platform for simulating the effects of hurricanes and tornados on new storm windows."

Geez, a noble warbird relegated to testing storm windows...

Sounds like an ambitious project at best. With the wing fold mechanism removed with a cutting torch, and outer wing panels missing altogether, it's a tall order to get it flying again. But Corsairs are so cool.

Yes, and what a shame too.
I just received more information by someone who visited it to potentially buy.
Here's a part of the email:

"It's a very interesting project but missing many critical components including the outer wing panels and wing fold mechanism which were removed with a gas cutting torch. The remains of the airframe was used by a Midwest company to test storm windows. They welded a steel framework between the gear legs and mounted to it a test window. The Corsair engine was then started and water hosed into the prop arc. The combination of wind and water made for a very effective test platform for simulating the effects of hurricanes and tornados on new storm windows."
Did he buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back