Fighter or bomber depending on USAAF pilot size (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been surprised by what I have discovered about average heights in European men. The Germans are big today but I was wrong to apply this to the early 20th century Germans.
There is a gap in the data for Germany for births between 1900-1925 so the next nearest to WW2 give these results.

German male,born 1926-30, Average height 172.99
British male,born 1926-30,Average height 173.60

The British were actually,on average, very slightly taller than the Germans which I did not expect. More recent figures tell a different story.

German male,born 1976-80,Average height 180.17
British male,born 1976-80,Average height 176.83.

The Brits have been well and truly overtaken :)

Data from "Long Run Trends in the Heights of European Men,19th-20th Centuries" by Hatton and Bray.

Cheers

Steve

I've always loved hearing about the P-47's comfortable cockpit. I especially love hearing about the N's! An autopilot system advanced enough to allow you to take a nap and (correct me if I'm wrong) armrests sound like a pretty nice ride, especially for the PTO. Should've added cup holders for good measure!

I've been surprised by what I have discovered about average heights in European men. The Germans are big today but I was wrong to apply this to the early 20th century Germans.
There is a gap in the data for Germany for births between 1900-1925 so the next nearest to WW2 give these results.

German male,born 1926-30, Average height 172.99
British male,born 1926-30,Average height 173.60

The British were actually,on average, very slightly taller than the Germans which I did not expect. More recent figures tell a different story.

German male,born 1976-80,Average height 180.17
British male,born 1976-80,Average height 176.83.

The Brits have been well and truly overtaken :)

Data from "Long Run Trends in the Heights of European Men,19th-20th Centuries" by Hatton and Bray.

Cheers

Steve

I remember when I was in Japan in 66-67, you'd notice the older WW2 generation with the younger generation towering over them. The different diet, and maybe better nutrition in their early growing years made a dramatic difference.

I climbed aboard the Memphis Belle one time. I'm not very tall, but kind of wide, y'know? Anyway, I couldn't get around inside the old boat at all. The walkway through the bomb bay was too narrow, my shoulders wouldn't fit up in the top turret, just made for skinny guys I guess. Mustang and Harvard, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back