Fighters Made in USA, for mid 1943: how would you do it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Twice the horsepower at the same speed means twice the drag.

Total drag maybe but your equation, if I could call it that, tells us nothing about the aerodynamic refinement of an airplane. But in the case of the Airacobra and Lightning this point it probably moot, as both would be considered aerodynamically advanced for their generation.

Total drag maybe but your equation, if I could call it that, tells us nothing about the aerodynamic refinement of an airplane. But in the case of the Airacobra and Lightning this point it probably moot, as both would be considered aerodynamically advanced for their generation.
A P-38 has twice the number of engines, but the same number of pilots. I don't think you can multiply values just based on the number of engines, in fact I am sure you cant, a mosquito was faster than a spitfire with the same engine.

All airframes did not show the same drag rise as speeds went up however. Especially as some airframes had local airflows much higher than the planes speed through the air.

Good point Shortround6, I wasn't thinking about that ever changing variable.

I wonder what drgondog would have to say on the subject?

A P-38 has twice the number of engines, but the same number of pilots. I don't think you can multiply values just based on the number of engines, in fact I am sure you cant, a mosquito was faster than a spitfire with the same engine.

Agreed. And although having two engines increases the possibility of more parasitic drag, it's a testament to the engineering skill at Lockheed that they kept the drag coefficient numbers as low as they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back