First P51 lost in war was due to?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SKY7

Recruit
Sep 24, 2024
Hi,

Filling a quiz but unable to find the answer...

Thx

The answer depends on the exact nature of the question in technical terms.

If the question is about the first 'North American Mustang' lost in war, it would be the loss of a number of NA-73 Mustang I aircraft (no P-51 designation for this model of Mustang) to U-Boat attack whilst on delivery to UK in late 1941/early 1942. First RAF loss of a NA-73 Mustang I on 9 May 1942, takeoff accident during a training flight. First RAF operational loss of a NA-73 Mustang I on 14 July 1942 -- aircraft seen to crash into ground, either pilot error or possible enemy AA fire.

If the question is about the first 'P-51' that would then encompass the NA-91 P-51 (no suffix) Mustang, which was the Mustang IA in RAF service. USAAF used a number of P-51 as a part of Operation Torch, and a number of losses were incurred by the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron flying them, which would pre-date the P-51A loss given in another post by some time. First USAAF NA-91 P-51 Mustang loss 6 September 1942 training accident in USA. First 111th TRS allocated aircraft loss 28 June 1943 'aircraft condemned, salvage'; operational loss, 18 July 1943, aircraft 'condemned' due to AA damage on return to base. First RAF Operational Loss of a NA-91 P-51 Mustang IA on 18 July 1943.

Last edited:
The answer depends on the exact nature of the question in technical terms.

If the question is about the first 'North American Mustang' lost in war, it would be the loss of a number of NA-73 Mustang I aircraft (no P-51 designation for this model of Mustang) to U-Boat attack whilst on delivery to UK in late 1941/early 1942. First RAF loss of a NA-73 Mustang I on 9 May 1942, takeoff accident during a training flight. First RAF operational loss of a NA-73 Mustang I on 14 July 1942 -- aircraft seen to crash into ground, either pilot error or possible enemy AA fire.

If the question is about the first 'P-51' that would then encompass the NA-91 P-51 (no suffix) Mustang, which was the Mustang IA in RAF service. USAAF used a number of P-51 as a part of Operation Torch, and a number of losses were incurred by the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron flying them, which would pre-date the P-51A loss given in another post by some time. First USAAF NA-91 P-51 Mustang loss 6 September 1942 training accident in USA. First 11th TRS allocated aircraft loss 28 June 1943 'aircraft condemned, salvage'; operational loss, 18 July 1943, aircraft 'condemned' due to AA damage on return to base. First RAF Operational Loss of a NA-91 P-51 Mustang IA on 18 July 1943.

Many thx for taking the time on providing such a detailed answer Collin.

Think I will go for the U boat answer.

Hope to be flying the P-51 in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back