FLIGHT Article "Mercedes-Benz DB 601N"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have re written the FLIGHT article (April 16th 1942) titled "Mercedes-Benz DB 601N by G. Geoffrey Smith M.B.E."(should it be titled Daimler-Benz?).
Is anyone interested in checking it for me to ensure I have not strayed too far from the truth?

Thanks

The abbreviation DB stands for the Daimler-Benz what is the correct name of the firm making the series of the WW2 engines. The Mercedes-Benz is a trademark used by the Daimler-Benz AG. for vehicles ( mostly for cars ). The Daimler Motoren Geselischaft - DMG ( the name of the Daimler's firm before merging with the Benz's one in 1926 ) got the Mercedes trademark at the beginning of the 20th century. Therefore the name "Mercedes" was used for calling the Daimler's firm as well. And this is the reason for the title "Mercedes-Benz DB 601N" of the article written by G. Geoffrey Smith M.B.E methinks. If the article is about the WW2 engine made by the Daimler-Benz AG it would be more proper to use the title "Daimler-Benz DB 601N" for that, IMHO.

Last edited:
it would be more proper to use the title "Daimler-Benz DB 601N" for that, IMHO.

Surely 'DB 601 N' or 'Daimler Benz 601 N', otherwise it's a double Daimler Benz :)

I sometimes see British ships referred to as 'Her Majesty's Ship HMS Somethingorother', which is a similar case in point.

Cheers

Steve

I am not sure I agree. Surely Daimler Benz is the company name and DB 601N is the engine model.
Anyhow, thanks for your response, although neither of you answered my main question.

I have attached a .PDF conversion of the article (originally produced in MS Office Word 2010).
The first 9 pages are complete except for any OCR errors I have not found as yet.

Any comments (constructive or otherwise) would be welcome.

Could not upload as file is too large (2.49m). I will try again later.

Thanks

Jim

View attachment 288109

Attached is a .PDF of the first 9 pages because of your download limit.
This is not an original document.
It is a new presentation of a document written in 1942 by a staff member of FLIGHT magazine.
I have also reproduced a large article on the p-38 which is 193 pages and 12.8 Meg but with your size limits you will probably never see it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back