Flying the Me-262 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another thing is in jet v. jet it's different than jet vs. prop, as advantages change. The Me 262 can turn tighter than most other jets (though roll is slow compared to the 162, YP-80, or 183), but you lose a lot of speed and almost all the jets accelerate slowly in level flight.

But, for whatever reason you get into a straight turning fight, or have an enemy on your tail, turning is an option, geting the opponentent to turn with you and lose additional speed can give you the advantage as well.

Vs. props, don't try that, even though instantaneous turn is better than some prop fighters, sustained turn is not, and losing speed loses your main advantage. (diving being the best against props)

:?: I'm more of a BI-1 fan myself, but i have massive problems with both that and the 262... Im probaby being a noob but i'd appreciate help:
BI-1, not matter what i do, after about 5 mins max it will randomly drop out the sky... just like that. At first i thought it was too much engine, so i glided the whole way, no such luck.

262, once the engines are off, the things wont come back on. No matter what, nothing at all. And when i start, occasionally i get the proper cocpit view with the crosshairs at the centre of the screen, most of the time I just get normal, central view if you see what i mean, so the crosshairs are to the right and useless... many problems for my poor self, please help!

This is on FB btw

Welcome aboard Gory 8)

The crosshairs problem can be fixed by pressing Shift-F1, this will centre and zoom your view to make the gunsight usable. This has to be done in the 109 and the 190 as well, and some Allied aircraft, as the gunsights in the prototypes were off-centre and/or on movable mounts to make life a bit easier in cramped cockpits.

I'm not sure about your problems with the BI-1 and 262 though, I am more of a Hurricane MkI and P-40 man myself :twisted:

BI-1, not matter what i do, after about 5 mins max it will randomly drop out the sky... just like that. At first i thought it was too much engine, so i glided the whole way, no such luck.

You've run out of fuel. The BI-1 had a very limited fuel supply, much like the Me162 Komet. You need to get the aircraft up to speed, and then throttle down, and glide to conserve your fuel supply.

262, once the engines are off, the things wont come back on. No matter what, nothing at all.

There is a sequence to starting the 004B engines, and it's not something you want to try while in flight, unless you have altitude, a clear 6 and a little experience!

And when i start, occasionally i get the proper cocpit view with the crosshairs at the centre of the screen, most of the time I just get normal, central view if you see what i mean, so the crosshairs are to the right and useless... many problems for my poor self, please help!

This is on FB btw

BombTaxi pretty much covered that one for you, by pressing Shift F1 adjusts the gunsight position/view for a number of your German aircraft.

Another thing is in jet v. jet it's different than jet vs. prop, as advantages change. The Me 262 can turn tighter than most other jets (though roll is slow compared to the 162, YP-80, or 183), but you lose a lot of speed and almost all the jets accelerate slowly in level flight.

Makes one understand why everyone else put slats on their fighter a/c after WW2 :)

:evil: for some reason it wont accept my password so i've had to make a new account wth a new email adress, and they wont send me my old password... :mad: im not happy... but anyway thanks for replying, i was hoping this wanst one of those abandoned threads, cuz it doesnt say when stuff was posted... anyways thanks all for advie, worked a lot! and im sure if u type really slow, i would be able to understand the starty up thingy for the Me 262, please talk me thro it im sure i'll get it eventually! :( if only i could get this game to work online on my STUPID COMPUTER! Should i get pacific heroes btw aswell? i heard you could get betetr multi engined bombers then the 2 they give u in fb...

gOrYrOcKs sorry you had difficulties, make sure you let the moderators know you had problems, they can check into it for you. (see the http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/errors-problems/log-problem-15853.html thread for some possible answers).

Anyway, as far as the Me262 restart goes, here's some things to know.

To start the Me262 on the ground, you had to switch on the engine and set the throttle prior to your ground-crewman pull-starting the two-cycle starter engine located in the selected engine's intake.

If your '262 is sitting on the ground, you can start both of the engines by pressing I (if you don't have complex engine management selected in the game options). However, if you do have "Complex Engine Management" OR you're dealing with a Me262 in flight, you need to be able to select each engine by themselves.

In order to recreate that, you need to have the settings in the game preset to allow you to select and deselect an engine.

In your Game Controls menu, (right side of the main menu, right below your callsign) scroll down in the first section, AIRCRAFT CONTROLS. The first group in the section is Elevator, Trim, Rudder, etc. Directly following that is what you're looking for.

It'll start off with Toggle Engine. Scroll through the engine options until you reach Select All Engines. I have this set to ALT+A

For quick access to my engines, I have Toggle Left Engines set to ALT+L and Toggle Right Engines ALT+R

Then I have Select/Unselect Engine #1 set to ALT+1, Select/Unselect Engine #2 set to ALT+2, Select/Unselect Engine #3 set to ALT+3 and so on, through engine 8. These will allow you good control options with multiple-engine aircraft, both prop and jet.

Once you have made your choices, click Apply and you're good.

Now once you're in flight, and you "pop" an engine, you can try this:

Ease back on the throttle so the active engine doesn't skid you (assuming you had a single engine loss), keep the nose just below the horizon (gentle glide slope) to keep your airspeed up and Select the desired engine by pressing the ALT combination you've preset. Press I to start, watch your gauges to verify that the engine is spooling up up, it can take a few moments for it to light. Once the engine has fired, repeat the process with the other engine (if it needs lighting), or Press ALT+A (this should be for Select All Engines) and gently ease the throttle up to speed.

Just a side note on the engine start. When you start the Me262's engines, you can hear a small buzzing sound prior to the engine lighting. That's the little 2-cycle starter engine!

This engine management proceedure can also help manage a damaged engine, by allowing you to shut it down before it detonates.

I told ya' it was a little complex, but after you've done it a few times, it's not so rough. :thumbright:

In the screenshot, you can see the engine gauge panel for the Me262 is set up so that you can easily see the status of each engine and it's system. When you're restarting, keep an eye on the corresponding gauge.

Attachments

• Me262_instruments.jpg
    Me262_instruments.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 55
Oh and btw slightly confused right from the start- sorry i may ask a few questions as more probs arise!
I'm talking quick mission where i start from the air- campain and long mission builder or whatever dont work for me :( so i dont have ground crewmen or whatever... When im on the ground, i tried pressing i (I already had complex sorted out) but there is no respons from either. I let autopilot have a go, but it just pressed i furiously... i read through your thing again, maybe i didnt absorb right

This has gone on to next page, please see page 2 first

All right i tried from ground and got nothing, so i tried from air... at least the ground broke my fall... There was no reasuring buzzing, thedials did nothing, it just told me the engine was off... it said nothing else, it just flashed up as engine off, as if it was on then i;d turned it off. Normally it says engine starting on other planes. Please tell me this is something im doing wrong... oh and i talked to mods, i'll see what happens next, cheers

My fault for being vague about the crewmen...I hadn't had my morning coffee yet!
pi_freak.gif

The reference to the crewmen was how the actual Me262 was started back in the day. The game "reflects" that when on the ground, by being able to simply press I to get things started (without complex engine management).

In Quick Missions, you can select "Difficulty" at the time you're selecting your aircraft and enemies. Same goes for Multi-Player missions, if you're the host.

Also keep in mind that once you've started the engine start sequence, it takes a moment for the 2-cycle engine to start, and then a little while longer for the starter motor to run the jet engine up to compression. The Jumo 004B was not a fast engine to light up, so it's all a matter of letting things take thier course.

And no problem about the questions, holler when you need a hand...we'll be here! :lol:

ok so... start from ground (btw how do you do that on quick build missions? Its all i can do on the game :( ) and press i on both engines... then sit on wait even when it says engine off, and after a bit i got me some engines... nothing else to it, i was just being impatioent? select engine 1, I. select engine 2, I. wait a bit, throttle up slow, brakes off an away i go, with flaps and some other technical stuff in there... am i right, all sorted?
But question:
If theres a whole section for this plz tell me, but how do i go online, and make big missions and all that? there is no new server to join, creating one doesnt work and ubi.com doesnt lt me do anything!

OH AND: Maybe a video explanation will ease my confuddled mind? Youtube is a marvelous place. I'll check there next in case already a video

DFTBA B)

ok so... start from ground (btw how do you do that on quick build missions? Its all i can do on the game :( ) and press i on both engines... then sit on wait even when it says engine off, and after a bit i got me some engines... nothing else to it, i was just being impatioent? select engine 1, I. select engine 2, I. wait a bit, throttle up slow, brakes off an away i go, with flaps and some other technical stuff in there... am i right, all sorted?
In the Quick Mission screen, select Difficulty, then select Next. You'll see on the upper right, the Take Off Landings option, switch that off. Voila! You now start in the air!

You have the rest of it down, from the looks of it...patients and practice is the key to flying a Me262.

But question:
If theres a whole section for this plz tell me, but how do i go online, and make big missions and all that? there is no new server to join, creating one doesnt work and ubi.com doesnt lt me do anything!
Well, not sure of a section for all the tips and training. You'll pretty much have to dig around and find those online for the most part. I've seen help pages on various IL-2 sites, but I don't know of any to suggest, right off hand.

As far as flying multi-player goes, you can check IL-2 Forums - Powered by eve community for any latest online missions, you can also check out Hyperlobby or you can host missions from your own computer and fly with your friends, which is what I do once in a while...well, that is when "they" (my friends) aren't making excuses for NOT flying...LAME WEAK excuses, I might add... (I added that because I KNOW they'll read this...as if it'll do any good...)

OH AND: Maybe a video explanation will ease my confuddled mind? Youtube is a marvelous place. I'll check there next in case already a video

DFTBA B)
Not a bad idea, I know there's a good number of IL-2 videos there...including some excellent combat videos by LesOfPrimus you should check out.

Ahh...one last thing, when you're preparing to post your message, you can uncheck the "Disable smilies in text" checkbox, found in the "Addition Options" area, right below the "Submit Reply" button. That disables all smilies, but will prevent the mysterious smilies from popping up in your text :thumbright:

RAR i was having one of those i hate the world days and u resotred my faith in humanity, thank you for being the most nice, helpful person i have met all week. you get an air 5.
DFTBA!
(if you can tell me what that means you get an air hug!)

*air hugs* Nerdfighter? Or just really smart?
anyway :( i clicked i and sat for 2 minutes and tried again and stuff... i dunno what im doing wrong! I throttle down, flaps take off, select engine 1, turn on (from ground, im not brave enough to re-try air) and it just telle me engine off, and it doesnt work with throttle either... what am i doing wrong? is it something to do with mixture? do you do that with jets?

you can host missions from your own computer and fly with your friends, which is what I do once in a while...well, that is when "they" (my friends) aren't making excuses for NOT flying...LAME WEAK excuses, I might add... (I added that because I KNOW they'll read this...as if it'll do any good...)
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back