“Flying Tigers – Claire Chennault And His American Volunteers" by Daniel Ford

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
"Flying Tigers – Claire Chennault And His American Volunteers, 1941 – 1942"
By Daniel Ford
Smithsonian Press – (revised 2007)'
ISBN: 978-0-06-124655-5

Flying Tigers.jpg

There are several groups whose legendary exploits far exceeded what they actually accomplished. Two groups come to mind; the Tuskegee Airmen and The Flying Tigers. This really is a shame as when you actually read what they had accomplished, it almost becomes anticlimactic, even though what they did achieve is still something to be quite proud off.

The kills and accomplishments of the Flying Tigers have reached mythical proportions and claims by some authors even exceed the total aircraft Japan ever fielded in the areas they operated in. If you want to read a realistic account of The Flying Tigers, then this is the book for you.

Originally published in 1991, Daniel Ford updated and revised his work and had it published again in 2007. He took the time to look at the available data from the Japanese Military to match up to what was reported by the Allies and had come away with what is perhaps the most realistic accomplishments of The Flying Tigers in print.

The book totals 384 pages divided into 18 Chapters, 3 Appendix's, and contains 27 pictures and a pretty easy read. One thing I did not realize was there was supposed to be a 3rd AVG group which I found interesting.

I give it a solid 10 Chain-Smoking Chennaults.

i was recently looking over some AVG stuff and they are very highly regarded still in china. they were considered heros to the chinese back then and are still held in that esteem. they believe they know where one of the aircraft crashlanded in a lake and there was a failed attempt to retrieve it. IDK if there will be further efforts. some good stuff on them here...

Flying Tigers US

That event was actually (about the plane in the lake) mentioned in the book, though it was only stated they were going to attempt to raise it.

Thanks for posting the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back