Focke Wulf 190F-8 in Italy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Does anybody have pictures of Fw 190F-8 based in Italy in 1943-45?
Many thanks in advance
Alberto

Thanks to the courtesy of Ferdinando d'Amico I obtained the picture that inspired the profile presented on his book "Air War Italy 1944-45"

Here is the profile:

Fw 190F-8 11 bianco res.jpg

And here is the picture:

Fw 190F-8 11 bianco.jpg

Alberto

Hi Wurger,

Slight correction to your post: Immola is in Finland, rather than Italy. The other shots you posted show aircraft of I./Schlachtgeschwader 4 in northern Italy in June 1944, not long before the Gruppe departed for Luftflotte 1's area of operations on the northern sector of the Eastern Front. There are dozens of photographs of I./Schlachtgeschwader 4 FW 190 F-8s taken at the same time and location as the two you posted.

The first FW 190 F-8s arrived in Italy in May 1944, and were assigned to II./Schlachtgeschwader 4, but they saw little combat there. In 1945 Nachtschlachtgruppe 9 would operate the FW 190 F-8 in the night ground-attack role, and there are a few photos in Nick Beale's book Ghost Bombers.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all pictures.
About Nick Beale book I found there a nice profile that offers me the opportunity to chose between I./SG4 and 1./NSG9
FW 190 F-8R1 1NSG9.jpg

About the first picture posted by Wurger, based on the landscape it could be both: Immola, Finland and Imola, Italy. In facts the latter city is in flat area on the way to the Adriatic coast.

From other peoples I also got a picture of a "white eleven" that could possibly be the same as the first profile I posted, see them together here:
11 bianco.jpg

The picture of the plane with standard camou was taken in Napoli-Capodichino airport in 1943.
The number eleven is different in shape, but could have been repainted.

Besides my modelling scope, it's coming out a very interesting collection of photo on this subject.
Alberto

Alberto, I'm afraid the White 11 in the first image above isn't the same you posted in the first post and in the picture below. The one is of the early version ( possible the A-3 type) becuase of the fin tiip with the characteristic mount for the antenna wire. Additionally the wheel bay doors and wheel hubs are of the early type too and different from those used for A-8(F-8 ) variant of the Wurger. It can't be seen clearly but the cover of the the fuselage MG compartment seems to be of the early type as well.

11 bianco_a.jpg

Last edited:
Alberto, I'm afraid the White 11 in the first image above isn't the same you posted in the first post and in the picture below. The one is of the early version ( possible the A-3 type) becuase of the fin tiip with the characteristic mount for the antenna wire. Additionally the wheel bay doors and wheel hubs are of the early type too and different from those used for A-8(F-8 ) variant of the Wurger. It can't be seen clearly but the cover of the the fuselage MG compartment seems to be of the early type as well.

View attachment 291922

OK, it's fine, I will change the saving of my picture, it will be an A3(?) from now.
In facts I haven't seen the difference on the fin tip, that's very evident indeed.
Alberto

Also I have to correct something here. The pic below was stated in its caption it's a Fw 190F at the Imola airfield , Italy 1944. As Andrew Arthy suggested the airfield should have been the Immola in Finland. I have found two other sources for the shot and must admit its caption stated the airfield in Finland. So I deleted the shot from my post above as the incorrect info. Again sorry for misleading.

fw190_immola_1944.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back