Focke Wulf light fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Calum wrote this.
Would that be feasible/possible to scale down a Jumo 213J for the light fighter design's purposes?

From what I understand, Calum's point was that the 213J contained many for the time advanced features that you'd find to this day in a high performance piston engine. To quote the same post you quoted "water cooled exhaust valve guides, swirl throttle, crankshaft nose oil feel, oil centrifuge and so on.". So would it be possible to create a smaller engine with these same features, yes of course it would.

The problem is timing. The 213J was a late 1944(?) prototype. If you start a new engine from scratch, count say 5 years before you have something mature for service. If by some magic Germany is still undefeated in 1950, the new lightweight fighter with the smaller 213J inspired engine would be going up against what, F-86 and Mig-15? Good luck with that.

The problem is timing. The 213J was a late 1944(?) prototype. If you start a new engine from scratch, count say 5 years before you have something mature for service. If by some magic Germany is still undefeated in 1950, the new lightweight fighter with the smaller 213J inspired engine would be going up against what, F-86 and Mig-15? Good luck with that.
Sometimes if you scale, you can short cut the development time a bit. This worked with jet engines a bit but not as well as they thought.

However it sometimes trapped designers. What does not scale well (or didn't at the time, before computers) were vibration patterns. Sometimes things worked well and other times they were chasing harmonic vibrations out into 3rd, 4th, 5th orders. 1930s engine designers did not like to change cylinder dimensions unless they had to.
Car engines are different, they are much heavier and can damp the vibrations out that way and they rarely run at high power settings which lessens the strain and since vibration is linked to the rpm cruising speed it often a very different vibration pattern than high speed.
This goes the other way at times. I had a BMW R90/6 motorcycle. BMW twins were noted for having low vibration back in the 60s and 70s. Except..................the 900 cc size. It liked to vibrate at about 55-60mph (you could not use the mirrors) but at 65-70 it was very smooth. Cracked the rear frame at about 8000 miles behind the left rear shock. When I was calling the east coast disruptor the service manager started describing where the break was to me before I finished talking. Hey, just putting in larger pistons and using bigger bore cylinders should be no problem right?

There s no need to scale down the jumo 213j. With an output of 2600 ps , installed in a ,D-9 airframe (4100 kgr weight) the result would be spectacular performance. The problem is that
a) they would use it on 5+ tones Ta152
b) jumo 213j was scheduled for production in September 1945...
Only jumo213EB was production ready. Not as spectacular as the j , but still of decent performance given the limitations German industry faced

There s no need to scale down the jumo 213j. With an output of 2600 ps , installed in a ,D-9 airframe (4100 kgr weight) the result would be spectacular performance. The problem is that
a) they would use it on 5+ tones Ta152
b) jumo 213j was scheduled for production in September 1945...
Only jumo213EB was production ready. Not as spectacular as the j , but still of decent performance given the limitations German industry faced
I meant the scaling down to be wrt creating a Focke Wulf light fighter with the best piston propulsion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back