Fokker Gatling gun 7,92mm

Discussion in 'Weapons Systems Tech.' started by CharlesBronson, Nov 9, 2009.

1. CharlesBronson

CharlesBronson Well-Known Member

Metalurgic Technician
    #1 CharlesBronson, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    So weird that deserve its own topic, this design was proposed for fighters by the dutch designer late 1919-20. Its development began well into ww1 but never achieved service with any air force.

Attached Files:

2. Clay_Allison

Clay_Allison Active Member

I have long wondered why Gatling guns were not re-examined as air weapons until Vietnam. the technology was well known and the benefits should be obvious (in tests, a mini-gun is 9 times as accurate as a machine gun with only 4 times the rate of fire because of the concentrated stream of fire). I always thought a 6 barrel .50 on a P-38 would be terrifying.

3. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    Fokker was truly a genious. Great info CB!

4. CharlesBronson

CharlesBronson Well-Known Member

Metalurgic Technician
    Agreed, actually the first time and electric motor was married with a Galting was in...1890s, and even in taht early date 5000rpm were obtained. Even the british had some plans for Gatlings in the mid 1920s. the problem with this guns is that cannot be sincronizated and they are 300% 400% heavier than a normal rifle caliber self operated machinegun.

Well it was, but no always succesful, for example in late 1917 he invited the Chief of german Army air service to an demonstration of a new Fokker Monoplane with rotary 160 hp engine and 3 ( yes 3) sinchronizated LMG 08. When Fokker pull the trigger its entire mechanism failed, the propeller was destroyed by the 8mm rounds. The engine stopped.

Kind of embarrasing, in the end there were no 3 MG armed single seat fighters in german service in WW1.

5. tyrodtom

tyrodtom Well-Known Member

auto body repair
    Fokker often gets personal credit for designs actually done by designers he employed.

Fokker did develope a 3 gun eindecker EIV, in 1915, for Immelmann. Immelmann flew it on a few patrols, but I can't find if he ever scored with the 3 gun monoplane. It was juust too much weight for the airframe.

6. timshatz

timshatz Active Member

MGR
    Yeah, that was not a very powerful Engine (80HP?). Add that to the Eindecker being not the most easy aircraft to fly and all that weight was a problem.

7. davebender

davebender Well-Known Member

Interrupter gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The interrupter gear is a prime example. The History Channel and popular history books suggest it was invented by Fokker. So it must be true. :lol:

8. johnbr

johnbr Well-Known Member

Retired
    Me I have thought 3 of them firing down in the back of a Arado 234 and a pair of 55mm firing forward.I would make room in the fuselage by putting fuel in the wings.

9. davebender

davebender Well-Known Member

I agree.

However small arms do not appear to have been an American priority during WWII. We built the atomic bomb. Yet we couldn't build a reliable 20mm aircraft cannon or a reliable modern light machinegun. Consequently our aircraft remained mostly armed with .50cal MGs and our infantry fought with WWI era machineguns right up to the Korean War. American research development priorities would need to drastically change if you want a .50cal mini gun.

10. tyrodtom

tyrodtom Well-Known Member

auto body repair
    #10 tyrodtom, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    Probably as American designers saw it in the Browning .50 cal they already had a developed, dependable, very adaptable, weapon that they could produce in mass quatities. They even contiued developement after WW2, got it rate of fire to 1200rpm.

A .50 cal gatling would have to be a very bulky item, can you imagine the gondolas you'd have hanging under the wings of most fighters, it'd make the 20mm gondolas some Me109s had seem graceful.
    How practical could developing a new weapon system that could only be used in one fighter, (P-38) be? Retraining armorers, logistics, would not be easy.

Why does that icon come up, I can't edit it out .