Forts, Fortifications, Citadels etc.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geez ... it sounds like you could be kept in one of the towers.
My hotel was opposite the main gate, which at the time that it was a fortress was impregnable, it still had the holes where boiling oil could be poured on an aggressor , and arrow slits in the sides. There were actually 3 gates like air locks today, you couldnt storm it. Every evening I used to go through the gate through the fortress to where the restaurants were. The photo is deceptive because that bridge is modern, in its time as a fortress Semur was surrounded on three sides by a river and steep cliffs.

France has some very beautiful old towns and villages that are well looked after and the food................................magnifique.
Semur was one of the few places I took my wife to for a holiday, a great region to visit. I worked (10 miles up the road) there in a stainless steel pipe factory which at first I thought was unusual for such a nice rural area. Then I visited the Abbey de Fontenay and found the monks there were working metals with water powered drop hammers hundreds of years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread