Four blade spinner identification help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

traderjohnj

Recruit
May 24, 2024
Came across this one for a bargain. Any help
In identifying it would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5608.jpeg
    IMG_5608.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5609.jpeg
    IMG_5609.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5616.jpeg
    IMG_5616.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Looks to me like a Hamilton Standard part # 790176-1 spinner as used on the 14SF series propellers, used on the ATR42/72 series, DeHavilland DHC-8 100, 200, 300 series and Canadair CL-215T/415.

Thank you. Looks correct based on some photos. Does it have any significant value? I plan to polish it up and hang it on the wall in the conference room? lol

In my opinion, the spinner is unairworthy, because of the doubler on top of the crack. The cracks could be stop drilled and left as is as long as they did not crack further.
The spinner is a flat piece of aluminum that has a welded seam and tip. If polished this different material will show up dull. You could try polishing on the inside on the welded seam visible in your last image, to see what it looks like.

In my opinion, the spinner is unairworthy, because of the doubler on top of the crack. The cracks could be stop drilled and left as is as long as they did not crack further.
The spinner is a flat piece of aluminum that has a welded seam and tip. If polished this different material will show up dull. You could try polishing on the inside on the welded seam visible in your last image, to see what it looks like.

Gotcha. Thanks for the information. Come is actually spun aluminum. No weld luckily. Line in last photo is actually condensation drain residue. You can see the drain up in the cone.

This spinner is half the size of a Hartzell spinner shell. Yes Hartzell, McCauley, Cessna, Piper spinners are spun. But this spinner is very large in diameter and very thin in thickness compared to these other spinners. If you did an eddy current inspection, then you can see the difference in conductance in the material at the weld joint and tip.

This spinner is half the size of a Hartzell spinner shell. Yes Hartzell, McCauley, Cessna, Piper spinners are spun. But this spinner is very large in diameter and very thin in thickness compared to these other spinners. If you did an eddy current inspection, then you can see the difference in conductance in the material at the weld joint and tip.

You are correct. Looked up inside. The tip is welded. Seam down the side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back