Four-cannon Spitfire Vc non-tropicalised? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Unfortunately I don't have a such pic.
1648654185586.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. However because there is no evidence the emblem was on the AA878 fuselage applied I would add it. Certainly that's your choice which Spit you want to replicate. The 'Manchester Merchant Trader' would be a nice choice though although the custom decal of the emblem would be a challenge.
It would be a nice choice, though I think between the two AA873 is easier as we can see generally what the side art looks like.

My understanding is that the four cannon Spits were prone to the cannons jamming. The small tube running from the back of the exhaust stacks (MkVC) was an attempt to heat the firing and feed mechanism to prevent frost forming and jamming the mechanism.

Frost would form because the plane would be at rest in a warm temperature then ascend so quickly to intercept that frost formed.

They had mixed reports of success with this.

I believe that, when the four cannons did work, the firepower difference was notable.

My understanding is that the four cannon Spits were prone to the cannons jamming. The small tube running from the back of the exhaust stacks (MkVC) was an attempt to heat the firing and feed mechanism to prevent frost forming and jamming the mechanism.

Frost would form because the plane would be at rest in a warm temperature then ascend so quickly to intercept that frost formed.

They had mixed reports of success with this.

I believe that, when the four cannons did work, the firepower difference was notable.
The raf had gun jamming problems much earlier than the mk v. Early .303 browning machine guns on the hurricane and spit la suffered stoppages due to cold/altitude. Heat from the exhaust did reduce the problem until the universal wing was designed with a heated leading edge. The hispano canon was a very good and reliable gun once the gremlins were ironed out. Aircraft on the cutting edge of technology was trial and error, especially during war when time is short. Have a nice day :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back