Frank Olynyk Data (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Hi Everyone,

I have read MANY threads in several forums that reference Frank Olynyk's aerial victory data but, as yet, cannot find hide nor hair of the actual data ... anywhere at all.

Can ANYONE tell me where I might find these data, hopefully in electronically-readable form? It WOULD ne nice to actually see it.

Much apprecaition in advance, if so.

Best regards, - Greg

Last edited:
Could the book "Stars and Bars: A Tribute to the American Fighter Ace 1920-1973" by Frank Olynyk be what they are referencing? It is outside of my area of interest, so I don't have any knowledge of it.

http://amzn.to/2jxDkp3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Olnyk published a series of volumes covering various US victory claims back in the '80s. I don't know that they are available electronically and the only one I've actually seen (sadly not mine) is "USAAF (European Theater of Operations) Credits For The Destruction of Enemy Aircraft In Air-To-Air Combat In World War 2, Victory List No. 5" (at least that's how I wrote it down at the time). I doubt that any are available now at anything but ludicrous prices.
He also covered RAF squadrons by number IIRC.
Cheers
Steve

"USAAF (European Theater of Operations) Credits For The Destruction of Enemy Aircraft In Air-To-Air Combat In World War 2, Victory List No. 5" is a source as well as Stars and Bars.

That said, the current 'close to final list is at HRC, on-line and with skill can be extracted *whenever USAFHRC makes it available after shutting it down because of Sequestration.

My own USAF 85 data reflects a combination of 85 as published, plus Stars and Bars (same totals as his published lists) plus updates to USAFHRC. A note is in order. USAF 85 was a scrubbing of all theatre totals to match Victory Credits as awarded and removed 'double credits' that often existed in immediate post war records.

Over time additional credits were added via awards process at Maxwell to add individual claims made by returning POWs, oversights of accepted Victory Credits named because reports once lost were recovered. Additional credits were awarded as a result of German KUJ reports citing a mid air collision whereas the cause of loss was unknown to US authorities. The 'List' has evolved by perhaps 50 VC's over time and some ETO 9th AF VC lists for April 1945 (notably 354FS) remain outstanding.

Summary, slowly evolving like a glacier but essentially as complete as it ever will be.

Hi Bill!

I've been wondering why the USAFHRC has been unavailable. Nice to know why.

It's still frustrating to not have the data available ... If I knew how to do the research, I would, if out of nothing but personal satisfaction. I have drawn 144 WWII 3-view detailed drawings to date for the same reason, personal satisfaction. The work ethic is not missing ... it's the data!

Hope things are going well with the MTO analysis.

All the best.

Hi Bill!

I've been wondering why the USAFHRC has been unavailable. Nice to know why.

It's still frustrating to not have the data available ... If I knew how to do the research, I would, if out of nothing but personal satisfaction. I have drawn 144 WWII 3-view detailed drawings to date for the same reason, personal satisfaction. The work ethic is not missing ... it's the data!

Hope things are going well with the MTO analysis.

All the best.
Greg - I am perhaps 2/3 complete and have most of the issues resolved but have a little trouble validating 'transition aircraft operational dates' - ditto for PTO. Not so much P-51s but the P-40 and P-39 to P-47 and A-36 to P-40 to P-47 (i.e 27th FG). Only makes a one or two credit swing in many cases, but..

Thoroughness is very MUCH appreciated by everyone who ever sees the data later, especially when doubters down the pike cannot find anything to criticize, even after a lot of research.

All the best. If I can ever help, let me know.

- Greg :)

Hi Greg,

Frank has been constantly updating his victory claims databases (which are still stored in an old 1980s computer program, if I remember correctly), and they will see the light of day at some point. He sent me some .pdf extracts a couple of years ago, and the extracts have the same layout as the 1980s versions (Date, Time, Claim, Location, Name, Unit, Aircraft, Source). At the moment I believe a lot of Frank's research time is spent helping Christopher Shores with the Mediterranean Air War series. Attached are the victory lists he had published, and those he was working, in 1987.

P1020375.JPG

Cheers,
Andrew A.

I'd be looking for the electroinc file, pdf or otherwise. I HAVE a LOT of data, including USAAF Report 85, the Statistical Digest of WW2 (not really accepted by everyone), Jan Sarik's data in Excel, but most of the lists the experts like to use are based on Frank's data.

Are those pdf files searchable? Does he still have a website?

Hi Everyone,

I have read MANY threads in several forums that reference Frank Olynyk's aerial victory data but, as yet, cannot find hide nor hair of the actual data ... anywhere at all.

Can ANYONE tell me where I might find these data, hopefully in electronically-readable form? It WOULD ne nice to actually see it.

Much apprecaition in advance, if so.

Best regards, - Greg

Hello all, I have the same problem as Greg. I'm researching for a book and only have USAF Historical Study No. 85, which is excellent for confirmed victories, but doesn't list probables, damaged, or exact mission details, as in the Olynyk studies. Does anyone know anywhere the Frank J. Olynyk book -- USAAF (European Theater of Operations) Credits For The Destruction of Enemy Aircraft In Air-To-Air Combat In World War 2, Victory List No. 5, is available? OR, does anyone have a copy and can send me photocopies for a particular US fighter group and squadrons? I will gladly reimburse expenses or send equivalent copies from my USN and my WWI victory list books by Frank J. Olynyk or from USAF Study 85.
Thanks,
Peter

Hello all, I have the same problem as Greg. I'm researching for a book and only have USAF Historical Study No. 85, which is excellent for confirmed victories, but doesn't list probables, damaged, or exact mission details, as in the Olynyk studies. Does anyone know anywhere the Frank J. Olynyk book -- USAAF (European Theater of Operations) Credits For The Destruction of Enemy Aircraft In Air-To-Air Combat In World War 2, Victory List No. 5, is available? OR, does anyone have a copy and can send me photocopies for a particular US fighter group and squadrons? I will gladly reimburse expenses or send equivalent copies from my USN and my WWI victory list books by Frank J. Olynyk or from USAF Study 85.
Thanks,
Peter
Frank kindly donated his WWII AAF Victory Credits (all types/theatres) data base plus RAF Mustang victory credits (Mustang only) - which formed the core for the Tables I presented in "P-51B; North Amercan's Bastard Stepchild that saved the 8th AF" (I apologize for the hyperbole). Part of the issue was the fine line between type transition when mixed formations were flown. USAF 85 gives no clue.

I may not pass them out but Frank may be receptive to your cause. If you don't have contact info, send me name and email by PM and a paragraph explaining the worthy cause and I will send to him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back