A Thread for Data Files (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
I think we could use a sticky thread for data files on aviation topics, with emphasis on WWII. But, I wouldn't kick at data files for other wars /timeframes.

I'll start by posting my file for German claims. I make no claim for this file ... it is what I have collected over many years of looking. I parsed this from text files in Excel. There may be a few errors, but I haven't found them yet.

Hopefully, others will join in!

Cheers, - Greg

Edit: Changed "l" for "k". Sorry for the mistype! :eek:

Attachments

• German_CLaims_New1.xlsx
    12.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have a lot of data, but it also took many years to compile. I sort of wanted to get a feel for what people have and might be willing to share. I was going to share some of this 20 years ago and was ridiculed for even suggesting I had the data. I had hoped the atmosphere was better today. Maybe it is.

I have:
1) A world list of aerial victories of WWII.
2) A good list of victories in Viet Nam.
3) A rather complete list of data for about 1,000 WWII airplanes of all types. Data in English and metric units, and a lot of ancillary data that goes with that type of list. Been working on this files since 1995.
4) A very complete list of WWII aircraft production by type and variant with a LOT of extraneous data in it about most countries that produced WWII aircraft. Things like designation systems, guns, etc. This file has been in work for 25+ years.
5) A good list of tables from the USAAF Statistical Digest of World War Two. There are many math errors in that document. I assumed the errors were in adding up totals, but they could be in table data entries, too. Without primary sources, there is no way to know or verify.
6) A good list of tables from US Naval Aviation Combat Statistics World War Two.
7) A pretty good spreadsheet of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators and a few aerodynamics files from other texts.
8) A list of German claims for WWII from the old Tony Woods files, posted above. Summary tab.
9) A list of the individual victories of the top 10 or so German Aces, posted above.
10) A good, accurate list of USAAF Report 85. It's from another member in here and I can't post that one as I promised I wouldn't.
11) A decent list of WWII aero engines and specs.
12) Some files about submarines and ships, specs and losses and victories.
13) CAD files with 3-views for some 318+ WWII aircraft, all drawn by me. I have shared some of them in here. Many have rivets added. Generic markings since any marking can be applied to a drawing. These drawings add up to 7.8 GB of drawings.

Here's an example CAD drawing I did. No rivets, just line drawing. Adding them takes a LOT of time!

B57B_2.jpg

Last edited:
We still miss Frank Olynyk--and those who knew him always will.
He briefly considered selling his encyclopedic US aerial victory lists on CD but then realized that as soon as he released one--let alone all--it would be pirated. The one I really anticipated was WW I Germany.
For those who may not know: each volume (USMC, USN, USAAF by theaters, etc) contained a straight chronological list, individuals alphabetically, and units by numeral. Also each volume had a summary of claims by aircraft type, whether generic (P-51) or specific (P-51B/C/D/ETC)

Hi Barrett!

I'm sure Frank's WWII list would be a "must get" for anyone in here, were it available. Too bad it isn't, but I certainly understand.

Didn't know too many in here were interested in WWI, but I could look into getting a decent list together. It takes some parsing in a spreadsheet, but it is possible to get a decent list together today.

Cheers, - Greg :)

Here is the file I was working some years back. It is a detailed listing of the bomb load carried by each aircraft dispatched by a squadron as given in the squadron's ORB. It also includes other mission specifics. The fields are:

Squadron number, year, month, day, aircraft serial number, aircraft type, target, primary target type, number of crew, position of any extra crew carried, up time, down time, bombing time, and bombing altitude.

There are also numerous columns for the bombs, with the specific type as well as generic options as the squadron ORBs varied considerably in terms of details listed. The column headers shaded in orange are some of the more unusual examples. All these options are listed so that the bomb loads can be recorded as they appeared in the ORB rather than having to make judgement calls about what specific ordnance a term might refer to.

Note that the aircraft serial number and primary target type columns were added as the file was being worked on, so these are not filled out for earlier entries. Days are entered as a modified decimal format (e.g. 13.14) so that missions crossing two days can be recorded as they were given in the ORB. It was easier and quicker to enter as a decimal than in another fashion. Similarly, the up, down, and bombing times are entered as a decimal (e.g. 21.15) as this was quicker and simpler than typing it in using a colon.

There is an "Abbr" worksheet which lists the abbreviations used in the file.

I haven't worked on this file in several years, but I hope to return to this project eventually. I'd likely restart it with a few changes to the layout based on experience gained working on this version.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• RAF squadron ORB bomb loads.xlsx
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
First, thank you for sharing.

What are the columns up, down, and bomb?

I am assuming up is takeoff, down is landing, unsure about bomb ...

Here's an Excel file that does two things.

1) You enter an altitude in feet (also converted to meters for convenience) in 1) and the standard values (values on the mythical "standard Day") are shown in 2).
2) You enter one of several boost values and all the others are calculated on the same line.

In my spreadsheets, inputs are generally in coral (pink) borders and outputs are in blue borders.

Cheers!

- Greg

Attachments

• Boost New.xlsx
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Paging G Geoffrey Sinclair . Dude has so many files that are so informative.
Within limits though. Most of the files are works in progress, not easy for others to understand. Then comes data I have made promises not to pass on. The recent arrival of new reports, like ones giving exports of USAAF aircraft types from 1943 to June 1945, need to be incorporated. Finally there is interest, whether anyone wants details on Airspeed Oxfords for example, production, where they all went sort of data. Like NM532 and 3 destroyed by fire at the factory, February 1944, omitted from production figures. The C-46 figures are simple as the US kept almost all of them for itself.

Attachments

• Curtiss C-46 notes.xlsx
    199.2 KB · Views: 3
Within limits though. Most of the files are works in progress, not easy for others to understand. Then comes data I have made promises not to pass on. The recent arrival of new reports, like ones giving exports of USAAF aircraft types from 1943 to June 1945, need to be incorporated. Finally there is interest, whether anyone wants details on Airspeed Oxfords for example, production, where they all went sort of data. Like NM532 and 3 destroyed by fire at the factory, February 1944, omitted from production figures. The C-46 figures are simple as the US kept almost all of them for itself.

Your posts are often so lengthy I don't have the time to digest them in detail, but when I do I find them to be goldmines packed with info.

Your posts are often so lengthy I don't have the time to digest them in detail, but when I do I find them to be goldmines packed with info.
The insomniac's perfect bedtime read, lasts till dawn or bores you to sleep.

Regarding replies to data files postings, if the data idea takes off replies will soon outnumber the messages with data. Perhaps either a dedicated thread for replies or make it clear any replies should have their own thread in the appropriate forum. Don't clutter the data pages.

The RAF B-25 data is from a mixture of comparing with the Joe Baugher listings and looking into the Atlantic Crossing data, the RAF really only used the B-25 in
Northern Europe and North America. It was the closest to readable by others, so only a few more hours work The B-25 listing was meant for the web site mentioned but they did not reply, shown previously, here to pair it with the RAF one.

Attachments

• Mitchell RAF.xlsx
    126.8 KB · Views: 2
  • B-25 Mitchell.xlsx
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back