Frazer Nash FN 121 Tail Turret

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Below are pictures that I took yesterday of an FN 121 turret on display at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta. This particular turret is operable in all planes though, of course, the weapons are deactivated. A link to a video demonstration of the turret can be found here.

I can not vouch for the completeness of the turret but I know that some modern wiring has been added to simulate muzzle flashes. These wires can be seen laying along the top surface of the .303 machine guns.

19012601.jpg
19012602.jpg
19012603.jpg
19012604.jpg
19012605.jpg
19012606.jpg
19012607.jpg
19012608.jpg
19012609.jpg
19012610.jpg

Hi Andy,
Would you happen to know more about F/L Douglas Cameron? It caught my attention because in the night of 16/17 June 1944 Halifax III LW463 of 640 Squadron was shot down over Holland, East of Arnhem. Sadly the whole crew didn't make it. Pilot was Canadian Flying Officer Douglas Newlands Cameron (J-26595). I was wondering if it could be same person...
Cheers Sander

Great shots. You photobombed yourself in the first pic. In the second post, fifth pic down on the floor near the moth wings we can see a cartridge link. Your photos are almost as good as being there.

A quick story about the crafty Canadians. Years back I received most of the Aviation reference magazines. I worked for Eastman Kodak and nearly every winter I went to Rochester for training on new equipment. I wanted each year to try to get to the museum in Ottawa, but with six guys assigned to one car, it didn't happen till 1972. Many of the class drove that year which left me and the only Canadian, from Saskatchewan as I remember, with the company car. He had never been to the museum either. It was a great trip and incredible collection. Because of the magazine articles, I knew Britain wanted your Lysander and Canada wanted a B-24. Back in those days I often went into areas that were not open to visitors. At lunch time when all the staff left I went to the third hangar to see what they didn't want me to see. The hangar was split in half with a wall down the center and the half with the unlocked door was storage with wooden crates stacked to the roof. Boxes were marked Jumo 004B , He 011, etc. there was a cockpit from a Comet but several boxes marked Lysander. The aviation press said you had the only complete Lysander. What occurred was, Britain got a B-24 from India, shipped it to Canada and you sent your spare to Britain. Slick. While in the hangar I climbed up packing boxes to see beyond the divider and saw a Bf-109E being restored. This was while they were still scarce. A most enjoyable trip, except by the time of the third hangar, I was out of film.

One thing about this site - you learn something every time you log on. As a car aficionado first and airplane second I was shocked to see a Frazer-Nash built ball turret. I was under the impression that their collaboration started after WWII.

Chipieal, You will pick up on the aviation stuff. There is another thread you will like here about Preston Tucker and his auto and aviation history. Search P-77.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back