French B-26

Discussion in 'Aircraft Pictures' started by Matt308, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Found this interesting pic of a French B-26 during bombing operations. Anybody have any background on the unit and number of B-26 we leased to Free French forces?

Attached Files:

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Hi Matt. I've found out in my research for my B26 model, that at least 6 Free French squadrons were equipped with marauders in North Africa, and I know of at least one Sqn. based at St. Dizier, France, in 1945. This was 1/22 'Maroc'.
    There are some pictures of French B26's on variuos websites I've looked at, under the general heading of 'Martin B26 Marauder pictures', and there are a number of colour shots of the U.S.A.A.F. aircraft, and museum examples, including a French B26 in the museum a Le Bourget, Paris.
    Not a very detailed answer, but hope it's helped some.
    Terry.

3. Matt308

Matt308 Glock Perfection
    Staff Member Moderator

Engineer
    Thanks, Terry.

4. Célérité

Célérité Member

Yes B26 have been used by Free French Force but more after WW2 by the french army.

The Air Force has implemented the B-26 from January 1951, the 1st of February the first combat sorties were carried out in Indochina. During the conflict 113 B-26B B-26C and RB-26C have been engaged in three groups Bombing: GB 1 / 19 Gascogne GB 1 / 25 Tunisia and GB 1 / 91 Burgundy as well as the Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron ERP.2/19 Armagnac. 25 Invaders were lost in combat or by accident.

L 'Invader was also committed in Algeria from August 1956. Two groups of bombing GB 1 / 91 Gascogne and GB 2 / 91 Guyenne being operational debut 1957.C 'is from 1961 that the B-26B and C opererent to the airbase 106. Six were equipped with a radar and B-appointed 26APQ13.

Attached Files:

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Thanks for that, Celerite. (Sorry, can't get accents on this reply section!)
    I knew the French forces used the A/B 26 Invader in the 50's/60's, but didn't know the Marauder was kept in service as well. Now I do!

6. A26 Crew

A26 Crew New Member

Hello from the US,

Does anyone know how to contact current French Air Force squadrons? Looking for GB 1/91 at St. Dizier but cannot find an e-mail contact address. Want to check their records for their use of B-26s in Indochina. Hoping to find their historian or PIO. Any thoughts are appreciated since I am a newby here.

Wrench well, fly safely.

7. ccheese

ccheese Member In Perpetuity
    Staff Member Moderator

R E T I R E D !!
    When I was in French Morocco, in late '55, the French were flying P2V's out of Port Lyautey. They also had a couple of
    AT6's [or SNJ's] that they used for hacks.

Charles