French Interior Colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings, everyone:

I'll be starting construction on an Azur Breguet 693 soon. Would anyone know the correct interior color for the cockpit section? Thanks very much in advance!

It is said it was the colour called Blue de Nuit ( the night blue ) FS35044. The colour can be Humbrol H-104 Oxford Blue or H-189 Insignia Blue. Also it can be Molak 14 night blue enamel no.115G. I would suggest mixing the H-104 and 189 in order to get the grey tonality of the colour. Urban's Colour Reference Chart on IPMS Stockholm site suggests a mix of 15*H25 + 14*H101 + 10*H33.

HP104.jpg

0150000009050.jpg

Also ... Testors/ModelMaster 1719 Insignia Blue Flat enamel

$(KGrHqRHJBME63Uw3JL(BOz(ZpIr(!~~60_35.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Wojtek, I picked up the Model Master Insignia Blue today. Would you happen to know what the proper color of the wheel wells and bomb bay would be for the Breguet 693 as well? Thank-you again for all your help!

All the best,

Pete

The colour for these wheel bays can be either FS26440/36440 or FS34226. The first one can be Humbrol 129, Gunze H325/C325, Testors/ModelMaster 1729,1730 and for the second one Humbrol 92 or Gunze H70. I would suggest using these for the first FS numbers.
Concerning the bomb bay.... it seems that it should be of the same cockpit interior colour with steel/silver weathering. Also it is suggested that it was either the Chamois Sable ( sand ) FS33594 - Humbrol 103, Gunze H27 , Testors/ModelMaster 2088 or Blue-grey FS35237 - Humbrol 145, Gunze H337/C337, Testors/ModelMaster 1721. I would follow the first idea and use the cockpit interior colour overall the fuselage interior.

Last edited:
:oops:OK, thank-you, Wojtek, once again. Could you please clarify something for me. What is the Model Master 1730/1729 color called for dummies like me? Sorry to put you to so much work!

:oops: Sorry to put you to so much work!

Really no problem for me. :)

The ModelMaster 1730 paint is called Flat Gull Gray.

1730-500x500.jpg

The name of the ModelMaster 1729 paint is Gloss Gull Gray and needs to use a matt varnish for being flat.

1729-500x500.jpg

:oops:Do not let the great Siggy Master lose patience with me! Researching the 'net, I found out that French bomb casings were painted in yellow. Would that apply to the bomb fins as well? You see, the pictures that I was viewing for 60kg bombs that the French used are in black and white. It just might be my eyes, but the bomb fins might appear to be a different color. Any thoughts on this, Wojtek? Again, thanks for all your help.

I started in on the Breguet interior, and I must say, I am liking all the detail that Azur has brought to the picture.

As memeo serves the Braguet 693 bombload was 400KG ( 882 pounds) in total. The main set was 8x50KG of DT-2 type bombs. In all pictures I have seen them painted with a light colour overall. It might have been a light grey paint or the one called Sable what was the Sand paint in English ( Testor 2088, Gunze H79). To be honest I haven't found anything about French WW2 bomb colours. Also there was nothing on French forums. Polish pre-war bombs were painted light grey and it should be remembered that Poland and France kept strict cooperation at the aviation equipment, armament, etc... untill September 1939 when Nazi Germany invaded Poland.

Yep it is really very helpful VB. THX for re-posting of the document. :cool:

There is info on page #181, DT no.2, 50 kg bomb - overall yellow. Also most of the French bombs there , was painted yellow according to the reference.

I have done interior construction for my Azur Breguet, and did the bombs up in Model Master sand. I do have to say that this short-run kit has much to be desired in terms of fit. You absolutely have to dry fit everything. I found the main and tail wheels kind of chunky, lacking in any sort of detail. All of the detailing, it seems, is in the interior, where most of it can't be seen. Thanks, VB, for the link. It was most helpful. :)

Not too good fitting is the main problem of many short-run kits. But it is possible to achieve a very nice final effect with some of working and patience.

Oh, yes indeed! I couldn't agree more, and I have found a number of examples of fine builds using the Heller, Azur, and Fonderie Miniatures kits, both in Free French and Vichy livery. I will definitely keep at it...... fill, fill, fill, sand, sand, sand..... :whax:

It is said it was the colour called Blue de Nuit ( the night blue

The colour for these wheel bays can be either FS26440/36440 or FS34226.
oncerning the bomb bay.... it seems that it should be of the same cockpit interior colour with steel/silver weathering. Also it is suggested that it was either the Chamois Sable ( sand )

. I would follow the first idea and use the cockpit interior colour overall the fuselage interior.

I'm too late,

On the drawing "paints", Breguet stipulate:
- areas cockpit: "Gris Bleu"
The color "Bleu de nuit" appears on the french aircraft built from december 1939.

- interior fuselage: area was "Chamois", if it not exposed to atmospheric corrosion agents.
In this case, the bomb bay and compartment gunner could not be "Chamois" and the interior color overall was "Gris Bleu"? In color "Chamois", there was only the rear fuselage, behind the gunner armor plate.

- Wheel wells and interior cowling engine : same color as underside: "Gris bleu Clair", but on each side of Wheel wells there are the fuel tanks "Superflexit". covering these tanks is covered with a rubber tyre maintained by a metallic gauze
peinture.jpg

peinture01.jpg

(In the notice of D520, it is said: chamois is used for areas not visible of interior fuselage).

Breguet 693

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back