Further extension of Ta 152 fuselage?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Somewhere (don't know where anymore) I got that ,in order to remedy its lackluster lateral in-flight stability,
the Ta 152 had had its rear fuselage extended by yet another 500 mm Rumpftonne.
There was even a picture to underscore this but I am not sure if it was an optical illusion.
Does anybody know more?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by the Ta-152's lacklustre inflight stability, or "yet another 500mm" because the entire series was designed with a 500mm rear fuselage extension, using the Fw 190A-8 fuselage as the basis. According to Dietmar Harmann Focke-Wulf Ta 152: Amazon.ca: Dietmar Harmann: Books the differences between the 190A-8 fuselage and the Ta 152 series were:

A lengthening of the forward fuselage by 772mm was necessary as a result of the greater space required by the engine mounted MK 103 and the two MG 151s in the fuselage [I presume this meant the length of the powerplants (Jumo 213 and DB 603) as well]....the fuselage extension was bolted directly to the existing engine attachment points. The wing, which was moved forward 420mm for center of gravity reasons, was attached in the center of the insert...the aft fuselage was lengthened through the insertion of a cylindrical section 0.5 meters in length.

The Fw 190D series had the same rear fuselage extension as the Ta 152 series and there wasn't much difference in overall lengths, plus the wing was moved forward by 420mm to preserve the cg, so the idea that an extra 500mm was added to the Ta 152 to counter supposed poor inflight stability is misleading:

Fw 190D-9 Length: 10.20 m (33 ft 5½ in)

Ta 152H Length: 10.82 m (33 ft 11 in)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe you are thinking of the enlarged stab/elevator that was to correct the somewhat pitch instability.

I am aware of the enlargement of those surfaces, lengthening of the forward fuselage and also of the 500 mm extension that was built into the Fw 190D and Ta 152.
Apparently those measures taken were not enough.
Griehl mentioned that there were complaints about the flight stability of this otherwise superb aircraft.
I mean there might have been one Ta 152 that had tentatively another 500 mm cylinder flanged
thus making this aircraft to have 2 Rumpftonnen in total (1000 mm).
The pictures I've seen seemed to show an elongation of the normal Ta 152's already lean rear fuselage IIRC.
It should have been 1/2 m longer then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back