Future/Klear Floor Wax Problem

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
I've had this bottle of Future floor wax for at least 3 years, everything was working fine till I tested it today on some similar spare canopys I have from one of my new perspective kits, now when it dried it gives out a line like you get when you use super glue, a almost foggy substance, the canopy was prepared in my normal method before applying the future. Now is it my mistake somehow or has anyone had this happen before? and does Future have a expiration date, thats the only thing I can think of that I did wrong? I've used future on Tamiya canopies before and its come out fine but this time this is one strange event thats happened to me.

Any help is appreciated.
Igor

P.S. I also diped some vacuform canopy tester I had in my spares and same result.

Any chance of a photo?
I'm nearing the bottom of a bottle of Klear/Future that I've been using for at least five years. It has yellowed a little and also thickened a bit but I dipped some clear parts yesterday and they look fine.
The good news is that you can easily remove your duff coating with a soak in some fresh Klear/Future.
Cheers
Steve

I can't get a photo out because my camera cant catch the shot for some reason (tried it in a couple angles) the bottle hasn't yellowed but its still beyond me why its happening :D I'll try another coat and if it doesn't work ill go get a new bottle I'm near the end of this one anyway.

I didn't know the stuff had a shelf life. The only bottle I could get was a big one several years ago so I'll need to watch it.

Never had the problem you describe, and wonder if damp air has caught it whilst drying? Far as I know, there is no 'shelf life' as such, and a bottle normally lasts me around three years or more (unless i knock it over, like last time, when it then lasts a year !!).

Never had the problem you describe, and wonder if damp air has caught it whilst drying? Far as I know, there is no 'shelf life' as such, and a bottle normally lasts me around three years or more (unless i knock it over, like last time, when it then lasts a year !!).
I have to agree sounds like moisture contamination,I've had my big bottle over 5 years and its still doing good.

whats the usual procedure when applying it? Maybe I do something wrong that other people do in a diffrent order, is it:

1. clean the parts in soapy water, let dry a day (after polishing if desired, I usually dont polish it, just wipe and let dry )/wipe off with non lint towel.
2. future once, wait 2 days, I usually check on day 1 to make sure everything is ok. ( store in a sealed container to avoid dust accumilating
3. apply future again if the result isn't satisfactory.

Just a question on the drying times, should I wait more days? That might be the issue?

Nothing wrong there. I dip the parts in Future and then put them on a paper towel in the bottom of a lidded box to dry. The towel wicks off any excess varnish. I only leave the parts a minimum of 24 hours before masking or,rarely,recoating.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back