FW 190 A 8 seat cushion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VALENGO

Senior Airman
An easy one, gentlemen: I have seen some FW 190 A 8's (plastic models, of course) with a cushion into the pilot's seat, and other models without the cushion. Which was the real situation?. I wonder if the real pilot was sitting on his parachute plus a cushion, or if the cushion (in the models) is some representation of the parachute (in this case, without the pilot and harness). My model doesn't come with pilot and the seat has no cushion. Should I add one or should I leave it alone?
Thanks in advance!.

As memo serves the LW pilots of Fw 190A used dorsal parachutes and didn't sit on them. Therefore the cushion was needed. However for taller pilots the cushion could have been removed IMHO.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A-8.JG2-(B12+I)-Bruno-Stolle-WNr-5735-France-1943-02.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, back-pack parachute in the FW-190 series. Here's a pic of a seat with the cushion in place, and the lap strap section of the seat harness.

View attachment 377166
No shoulder straps? No crotch strap? Scary! Must be they didn't do much negative G. If you're going to get all twisty and turn and burn, you damn well want to WEAR that airplane, not just sit in it!!
Cheers,
Wes

Of course these were there. But the belts were attached to the fusealge behind the pilot's chair. And it is the reason you ca'n't see them in the pic above. Just these straps aren't attached there.

Exactly, the fixing bolted through a piece of armour plate.

harness_fixing.jpg

The illustrations of the seat cushion in at least some of the Fw 190 handbooks show them extending vertically at the back, at least to the height of the 'shelf' at the back of the seat, designed to support the pilot's parachute pack.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back