Converting Tamiya's Mosquito Mk. IV to a PR XVI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B29WereWolf

Airman
Aug 2, 2010
I'm looking to convert Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito Mk. IV to a PR MK XVI in USAAF markings. I have aftermarket two-stage nacelles, but not sure what else I need. I heard that the canopy is different (IIRC blisters on the side and top) and the vertical stabilizer is taller, but can anyone confirm? Is there a source to get the canopy and stab? If there's nothing available, does anyone have good drawings so I can scratch build them?

As memo serves the USAAF PR Mk.XVI called F-8 had origins in B Mk.IV series II. The shorter horizontal stabilizer span was used for the Mosquito prototype , the PR Mk.I and the B Mk.IV series I. The tail span was 2966 mm. Beginning the B Mk.IV series II it was enlarged to 3163 mm and became the standard one for almost all of the Mosquito variants.. The exceptions were the B Mk.XVI and PR. 32/34 that got it slighty larger because the enlarged horn balances. The vertical stabilizer was the same for all IIRC. Regarding the cockpit canopy .. the PR Mk.XVI had the pressurized cokpit and it seems , the side bulged canopy with the top cupolla usually. However in all pics of the F-8, I couldn't find the top cupolla and the side blisters though. However the USAAF F-8 kites were a mix of the Canadian built B Mk.XX planes and delivered by Brits PR Mk.XVI it is very likely the British ones could have the side bulged canopy with the top blister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back