Question about converting Tamiya's 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B29WereWolf

Airman
Aug 2, 2010
I'm working on a Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A, but it will be an alternative history "what if" model. The basis is that the 78th Fighter Group of the 8th AAF, short on aircraft, acquired some spare Royal Navy Corsair Mk IIs that weren't deployed to the Pacific, and were repainted in the OD, Neutral Gray, with checkerboard cowling (like the other 78th F.G. P-47s and P-51s).

Aside from attaching an aftermarket rudder, the model is essentially ready for riveting and paint, but knowing that the Mk IIs where slightly different from the -1As for the US Navy & Marines, I need to do some conversion. I was wondering if anyone has done the conversion of this kit to a Mk II and can guide me of what I need to do. I believe that I need to trim off the outboard 8 scale inches, but not sure beyond that.

I appreciate any responses.

Wing trim yes. I also believe that you will need small vents on the side of the fuselage and one on the bottom but I would need to dig though my files that I'm away from atm. Also prop blades are different I think.

Meantime, search for my Corsair build in an early Group Build with Don Sheppard as pilot. I think it was an aces GB.

You've got three options on the wingtips. Mark IIs JT195 thru JT424 were delivered with the original Navy wing tips; most of these aircraft were later modified with the short wing tips, reducing the total span by about 10-3/4 inches. JT425 thru JT554 were delivered with the factory-installed short tips.

Even later, all of these aircraft could have been modified with the "short short" wing tips, reducing the span a further 2-1/2 inches and giving that squared look seen on Mark IVs.

Since you're planning a what-if, you can chose whichever tip pleases you most!

Cheers,

Dana

You've got three options on the wingtips. Mark IIs JT195 thru JT424 were delivered with the original Navy wing tips; most of these aircraft were later modified with the short wing tips, reducing the total span by about 10-3/4 inches. JT425 thru JT554 were delivered with the factory-installed short tips.

Even later, all of these aircraft could have been modified with the "short short" wing tips, reducing the span a further 2-1/2 inches and giving that squared look seen on Mark IVs.

Since you're planning a what-if, you can chose whichever tip pleases you most!

Cheers,

Dana
Thanks for that. As much as I want to be lazy and have it as an ex JT195-424 Corsair, I think I'll square off the wingtips by 8" on both ends. I appreciate it, I'll post pics of it when it's finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back