Fw-190 bombs or rockets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
I found these pictures of a Fw-190 with what appears to be bombs or rockets but not exactly sure what they are. Unusual type of mounting rack and I dont see any mechinism to fire rockets any idea what they are?

The other question would be, if they are bombs or rockets what are the spec's for these weapons.

Heres the web site that I found the pictures at
http://www.military-aircraft-photos.com/index.htm

Thanks in advance

Micdrow :lol:

Attachments

• Fw190__A091.jpg
    Fw190__A091.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 613
  • Fw190__A092.jpg
    Fw190__A092.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 659
  • Fw190__A093.jpg
    Fw190__A093.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 595
  • Fw190__A094.jpg
    Fw190__A094.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 592
Intresting pictures. I have seen only a drawings of this stuff.
It is anti-tank Wfr.Gr. 28/32 rocket. Originally designed for infantry and called 32 cm Wurfkörper Flamm (with flame warehead). Rocket was tested on Fw 190F-8 and Hs 129B on 1944, but its low speed and too curved trajectory allowed no precise aiming.

Thanks Net Sailor,

I take it then this was not a standard layout for a Fw-190 then. Thought it looked strange.

Wish I could find some more pictures, wondering how they hooked up the end to fire them off.

Thanks Again.

Micdrow

Hello,

I have two documents handling the WK Spr (Wurfkörper Spreng) 42 and 43.
dated 14.October.1943 Luftwaffen proofing ground Tarnewitz.
Used successfully by the army, the Luftwaffe looks for an bulk buster to break of the US Bomber pulks. So the WK Spr. 43 was tested - more explosive and an enlarged rocketmotor makes this rocket an dangerous weapon and a lot of mfg. tooling of the 42 couldt be used. Test are made with an Bf 110. The biggest problem was an workable fuse. The original
rocket used impact fuses - the Luftwaffe trials the ZZ S/30 modified to the lower rotation of the rocket to set the fuse. I have dokuments showing this rocket with trial proximity fuses
Heres a chart

Attachments

• RL36 - 257 PAGE 070 - 1.jpg
    RL36 - 257 PAGE 070 - 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 431
To give you an idea heres a drawing of the WK Spr 42, the WK 43 must be bigger. The ignition was simply by wire. I also enclosed a drawing of the igniter, who was simply placed in one of the rocket nozzles.

Attachments

• WK 42.jpg
    WK 42.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Zünder.jpg
    Zünder.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 450
Many thanks for the information genkideskan, You said sound accustics. Wouldnt that be dangerous. Just the sound if it launching or going through the air would make sounds. How would it know the difference.

All the best Micdrow

Hmmm I guess you wouldt ask that - after reading the document I couldt say that the shell produce his own noise in a forward angel. This is a special frequence. When the sound hit something it reflected to the shell. There is a microfone who detects the right frequenz and ignite the shell. Simply said !!

Thanks again genkideskan, makes sense to me. Good thing the germans didnt get it to work more accurate. Could have been deadly for the american bomber crews.

Thank again and all the best
Micdrow

Hi Micdrow!
I thought You are intrerested in this specific exeplar of weapon carried by Fw 190.
wfgr2832_foto_02.jpg

Here you are a cutaway:
wfgr2832_foto_01.jpg

As you see, Wfr.Gr. 28/32 warehead has only a simple impact fuse [1] which initate explosoin of charge [5] for throwing incendiary mixture [3].

Genkideskan, can you check out what is name of the sound proximity fuse used on WK Spr. 43?

The Wurfkörper in the pictures are dummies. The Luftwaffe used HE ammo with timefuze. Mostly a ZZ S/30 preset to 1000m. These where converted to the lower revolutions of the rockets. ( 3000 r/min to 12oo r/min of a 8,8cm HE shell)
The use of an INC filling with impact fuze is worthless.

NET SAILOR ,

FINALLY , I COULD SEE THE WGR 21 ! I WANTED TO SEE IT SINCE THE 70 'S !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back