Fw 190 Picture (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You guys beat me, I'l bring my knowledge to a different thread. :lol:

I found this guys on FW 190 A-5 Performance

Some good info here.

Another procedure to upgrade the height performance of the Fw 190 was to use external air intakes for the BMW 801 engine. This is not to be confused with the Fw 190 trop version. The test report of FW 190 No. 528 dated 27.8.1942 shows that the critical altitude -Volldruckhöhe- increased from 6400 m to 7400 m when using emergency power. Therefore this Fw 190 reached a speed of 694 km/h/431 mph at critical altitude (full throttle height) (1,42 ata, 2700 U/min, 2 MG 151, G = 3640 kg, 25.8.42). Focke-Wulf documents indicate that the external air intake should be used for the Fw 190 series, however, for reasons not yet clear it saw little operational use. While no concrete numbers can be given for aircraft equipped with this modification, a small notification from 1944 notes that 250 construction kits were available for installation in Fw 190 fighters.

graf2.JPG

graf.JPG

Last bit I could find was that Hermann Graf's Fw190 had this installed and it is listed as a A-5. Very intresting indeed.

Looking at the beaupower32 's post with the A-5 datas of performance I have gotten an impression that thse datas are connected with the A-3/U7 rather , judging by the werk nummer.There were three A-3/U7 version Wurgers ( W.Nr. 130 258, 130 530, 130 531 ).These were tested as the high altitude fighters equipped with a supercharger of decreased weight and limited armament to two MG151/20E cannons.It should be remembered that the A-3 was powered by BMW 801D-2 engine of bigger power than BMW 801C-2.The bigger power of the D-2 unit was achieved by using C3 fuel (96 oktan) instead of B4 (87 oktan) used for earlier Wurger versions , raising the compression ratio in the cilinders and increasing the low and high revs of the two-speed compressor.I think that the high supercharging ratio and pressure forced the use of these internal longer air intakes and air filters instead of these inner standard ones. Because the F version was a fighter-bomber aircraft type that could operate over a battlefield at low levels where dust, fumes and soil chunks with sand grains put into the air by explosions it is logical that these were equipped with the air filters.But it is my thought only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back