Fw 190 protection

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greyman

Tech Sergeant
Jan 31, 2009
Anyone have German specs on Fw 190 armour protection for its early period (41-42)?

I have figures from a few Allied sources but they vary a wee bit.

A quick flick through Roedicke only shows the armour plate in the hood (kopfschutzpanzer/head protection armour) and another armour plate on spant/frame 5 behind the pilots seat. This for the A-2 to A-6.
Protection forward was afforded by the engine and an armoured glass windscreen.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks johnbr, the cowling diagram is interesting. British examination noted that the cowlings over exhaust outlets were 10 SWG. I wonder if the entire covering in the diagram is 10 SWG or just a portion ...

wl.jpg

I'll just add that the level of armour varied. For example, in September 1942 some A-3s were converted to high altitude fighters and received extra armour to the cabin, fuel tanks and fuselage guns.

"..der panzerung in kabinenbereich, der kraftstoffbehalter schutz und von der bewaffnung die rumpf MG17 ausgebaut worden."

Armour was added throughout the war. The standard A-8 'Jager' had 145.7 Kg of armours, the heavies (34.7 Kg and 43.5 Kg) being for the oil cooler and tank respectively. The heaviest 'Sturm-Jager' variant of the A-8/R2 carried a massive 337.3 Kg of armour.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back