FW 190A-3 "Captured" RAF Camo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Looking for RAF camo info on Faber's 190.

fw.jpg

So far I have these 2...

focke-wulf-fw-190a-3-fighter-captured-by-britain-01.jpg
fw-190A-3 MP499.jpg

....obviously at different times. I would prefer to do the lower one. I don't have the Luftwaffe squadron badges though I my have the Prototype markings. So...A) does anyone have photos showing the opposite side of either photo, as well as the upper wings. It looks like the lower roundels were placed over the German crosses 2) colours used including those used to paint over the Luftwaffe markings. Pretty sure the lower colour is yellow. Many thanks in advance

Brilliant my friend. Ocean Grey/Drk Green/Yellow ?

And what do you think about the colour used to cover the LW squadron badge in my second photo, Medium Sea Grey? And what's going on here......

Golden Hawks.jpg

Mercy, mercy!! I was looking through the box trying to decide where I left off, checked out the decals and there were the 2 LW squadron badges for Faber's kite

upload_2017-4-18_15-51-33.png

Now to see if I can find the Prototype decals and see if they are the correct size. Then its decision making time

And a shot taken from the front ...

Fw_190A-3_a.jpg

As far as the camouflage colours are concerned I wouldn't say it was the OG/DG/Yellow set. The colour tone of the undersides looks like it could have been the MSG one. The MSG for overpainting of the JG emblem doesn't seem to be used. I would say it was the OG although the MSG used for the port side emblem is very possible.
Also the effect seen in the marked area seems to be caused by using a cover to protect it against the weather. Just the tail is a little bit wet. However the most likely the reason for that effect there is the "bordeline" between the DG and the OG colours going there. The Yellow "P" letter in the ring was overpainted with the OG colour and the paint was applied over the DG what caused the effect.

Last edited:
IMHO... both the MSG and the yellow on the undersides can be. I have checked on a couple of references and a couple of them say the MSG while other ones the yellow. So you may use either the first colour or the second one.

If you would decide to follow the kit with the "P" marking here a couple shots more ...

Fw_190A-3_1.jpg
Fw_190A-3_2.jpg
Fw_190A-3_3.jpg

I like those, everything included. I can use my profile as a pattern (minus the square that I'm sure was meant to represent the painted out LW cross). The right side...a little more thought. OG going through the black exhaust paint? The entire camo roughly follows the Spitfire camo of the day so maybe the tops of the wings do as well

Beauty, yellow underneath as well. Faber landed on June 29, '42 and the aircraft first flew with the RAF on July 03, '42. In the "British Aviation Colours of World War Two"...
A.513---Camouflage Colouring and Markings of Aircraft dated (10.7.41), the caption says,
3. R.A.F. landplanes.---(i) Operational aircraft for service at home---(a) Temperate land scheme consisting of two colours, dark green and dark earth, is to be used for the upper surfaces of all aircraft, except for those mentioned in sub-para. (c) below.

That would seem to fit the time period here

I've been looking for another colour pic, of the aircraft in flight, but can't find it - it's in one of my books somewhere !
However, it too shoes the FW in Dark Green/Dark Earth/Yellow.

And here someting that can come in handy...

Home

Here are pics ( including Andy's one posted above ) showing the same plane. The one with the Bf 109G is quite interesting because the kite is of another camo colours at tops. I made them B&W for comparing colour tones..

190lamp.jpg

190lampa.jpg

109part2.jpg

109part2a.jpg

109part1.jpg
109part1a.jpg

Last edited:
The book "Captured Butcherbirds Vol.1" published by Kecay suggests the camo though ....

Cpt_Fw_1_fs.jpg

I do like the Kecay page as it shows the wing camo. Puzzling though what they were covering up behind the roundel. If it was the LW crosses, they would have placed the camo colours directly over. Maybe at a later date they covered the Prototype marking. The swap over to day fighter colours occurred roughly at the time all this was taking place so would they have used these colours instead of DG/DE? as shown in the film stills?

IMHO the plane was re-painted entirely and there wasn't the need to overpaint the LW crosses. These patches behind the roundels are because of overpainting of the "P" marking. The only LW markings left, were the JG emblems but these disappeared too possible at the same time the "P" markings were covered with the patches seen.

The top camo could have been of the DG/DE colours but the Fw 190A-3 was captured in 1942 and the camo scheme was replaced with the OG/DG one in 1941. Therefore it is possible the plane wore the set of colours like the profile of the Kecay publication suggests. Also , most of pics with the Wurger without the JG emblems and the Prototype markings were taken at the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough in August 1942.

Last edited:
Right....getting closer. That would explain the colour difference in Post #3. Another thing I just noticed is the fuselage roundel is of different dimensions, smaller when the Prototype marking is there. Also, would the cowling ring be natural metal?

I have a hard time believing the Kecay interpretation of the upper surface camo. Given that the later aircraft shown in the colour pic are DE/DG uppers with Type C1 roundels on the fuselage, I have a hard time believing that the earlier photos of MP499 (with Type A1 roundels on the fuselage) would be in the grey/green camo. DE/DG makes much more sense to me, with yellow undersides - IIRC that was the standard scheme for non-operational types (eg trainers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back