FW-190F: How effective was it as a ground-attack fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Supermarine Smew , launch that one from a deck with a straight face.

Someone explain "Smee" to me. There is actually a component of New York City subway cars called a Smee valve. A friend of mine was a subway motorman and brought this to our attention. For years his nickname was "Smee Valve". I never heard the term used on the LIRR.

Being an effective ground attack, fighter bomber isnt an easy "gig". There arent many things on a battlefield that are more valuable than a good plane and its pilot. Unless you can take out things like assault guns tanks and get away with it most of the time it is only worth it at critical stages of battles.

No seamew but smew. Nuumannn edited the text from me in the quotatiom box

Yeah, I misread your post, I thought you meant Seamew and just misspelled it. On the same topic though, Reginald Mitchell wanted the Spitfire to be called the Shrew, but Robert MacLean of Vickers objected. Spitfire also fit with the Air Ministry naming system as it was at the time.

I think it was a pretty good CAS airplane. Fairly rugged, good performance at low altitudes, well gunned and capable of carrying various types of guns/bombs to suit the mission. I would point out that Hans Rudel completed the war flying an Fw190 with underwing cannon and got a lot of Russian tanks with it.

Andrew Arthy - I rated you "bacon" because your post is the first on-topic, "meaty" post in the thread.

Sorry but i think one should not edit the qoute box. One cant put words to one that were never there. Mods is there a way that the qoute box can not be edited?

I would like to see that as well. I sometimes have an attack of Fat Finger Syndrome. I will sometimes accidentally erase a bit of a post I'm trying to reply to.

I'm piggy-backing a coupla replies here.
The latter 190 was designated the Ta-152 because FW kahuna Kurt Tank was honored with his own designation, much like Messerschmitt's transition from Bf to Me.
Apparently the F model was operational in N Africa and, I believe, Italy.
The leading air-air Schlachtflieger was noted by Toliver and Constable. Naturally I do not recall the name but reputedly he was credited with 71 victories in 70 days, or maybe vice-versa. Certainly lots of opportunity in the usual E Front low-level furballs.

Users who are viewing this thread