FW-190F: How effective was it as a ground-attack fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brewster's original manufacturing plant was in Long Island (New York), but I beleive there was a depot in Buffalo (New York) where the British took delivery, so that may be the origin of the name.
It was also the British that named the PBY after a nearby island off the coast of California: Catalina.
Same goes for another Consolidated aircraft, the PB2Y, named for a town on a peninsula (by the same name) by San Diego: Coronado.
Catalina island is just 87 miles north of San Diego, by the way.

I saw what you did there. You will do well bi son. I dont think "Airacobra" was going to work, although cobras are always close to the ground.
And often, when under pressure, they coil up.
Sort of like a flat spin without the fatal fall from the sky...

Hi,

The FW 190 F was a very capable and highly effective ground-attack aircraft on the Eastern Front between 1943 and 1945. Most days in 1944 and 1945, the FW 190 F-8s of Luftflotte 1 (northern sector of the Eastern Front), Luftflotte 6 (central sector) and Luftflotte 4 (southern sector) flew around 1,000 sorties against tanks, vehicles, troops, airfields, bridges, and so on. I've written a few blog posts featuring FW 190 F-8 operations, linked below. Of course, their victory claims against ground and air targets were exaggerated (by about two claims to one actual success, as was the norm for all pilots on all fronts), but they definitely created some real problems for the Red Army. Here are the relevant blog posts:

- Luftflotte 4 in December 1944
- Luftflotte 1 on 11 August 1944
- 4. Flieger-Division on 3 July 1944
- Fritz Schröter in Hungary, October 1944
- Luftflotte 4 in 1944
- Luftflotte 1 on 7 November 1944
- I. Fliegerkorps on 20 May 1944

Hopefully those posts provide some insight into FW 190 F operations.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

It may be true but it is a crappy name, like Shrike
I've always liked the name "Shrike" for the Fw 190, as both the aircraft and its bird namesake are killers, that punch above their weight.
The British convention of naming fleet fighters after sea birds seems like a good idea, until otherwise perfectly great names like "Wildcat" and "Hellcat" get turned into "Martlet" and "Gannet".
Ouch

The intent was that the Fw 190F and G models were to replace the Ju 87 as ground-attack aircraft. There was quite an array of attack variants that were built and many planned and not built.

On to more serious stuff, the Martlet was the F4F, but later in the war the name "Wildcat" came into Royal Navy use when the navy sensibly decided that the US names for aircraft should be used and after what they hoped to call the Avenger, it was for the best. It was initially called the Tarpon, but was thankfully, subsequently changed. The Hellcat was to be the Gannett, but that fell from use, too. In case you're wondering, a tarpon is a fish.

It was also a submarine.

The British had naming conventions as laid out in official Air Publications, which frequently changed, but during the Between-the-Wars period were enforced as much as possible. In 1939 the RAF template was changed and looked like this:

Fighters were given names of speed and aggression, bombers were given place names, Army Co-operation types were given Classical words, General purpose and torpedo carriers, British historical names, Transports, Counties, Flying boats, coastal towns and seaports, Trainers and Target tugs, words indicating education, gliders, historic military leaders.

The Admiralty gave Fleet Air Arm aircraft the following in 1939, fighters were prefixed with "Fire", dive bomber and reconnaissance types were given seabird names, and torpedo bombers names of oceans, seas and estuaries, although torpedo spotter reconnaissance and light reconnaissance types received marine animals and fish names.

US aircraft in the RAF at the outbreak of the war received a random selection of names not necessarily adhering to the British standards, but deemed acceptable by the original manufacturers. The names we know a lot of US aircraft by to this day were in fact given by the British, such as Liberator, Catalina, Buffalo, Boston, Hudson, Lightning, Ventura, Mustang, etc. The latter of course was designed and built specifically for the British, so its naming fit into the official RAF nomenclature system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back