Adding power during a low-speed turn will increase your tractive power stall speed. The "Science" is just wrong on this.
As I said elsewhere, I think that this is due to the low speed turn airflow curvature (not replicable in a wind tunnel) which, when combined with lowered power, causes a dogleg of air to get trapped between the wing and the prop. Confined air, unlike traffic, ACCELERATES past the confinement point (a basic rule of aerodynamics). Accelerating the air over the wing (from that doglegged airflow) will increase the lift: If you increase the power, then you flatten that dogleg, killing a lot of lift.
With a shorter nose and a fatter cowl, the 190A simply confines the air more, which accelerates it more.
This effect got masked to the all-seeing "
Science" by the similar (also drastic, but very momentary) effect of
momentum reduction, the "
Science" failing to observe the fact that the pilots doing this kept the throttle down permanently.
Because I say the power reduction had
permanent lift benefits, that is why it
remained lowered throughout multiple consecutive 360s on all fronts with all types (flown by the pilots who knew the effect without understanding the cause).
I am not saying that is 100% what happened to McGuire, but the detailed research below, based on interviewing at length the 2 surviving pilots, does match with the momentum principle being understood by the McGuire, but
the actual durable subsequent effect not being understood by him.
What really killed Major Thomas B. McGuire
Thread: What really killed Major Thomas B. McGuire
Quote; "I have been privy to a painstaking investigation into the crash death of McGuire, a brief synopsis of which I received today. Here's an edited excerpt.
"
With regard to our continuing investigation into the crash that killed Major Thomas B. McGuire, I thought you might be interested to know that from the evidence we've gathered so far, it appears that the crash was caused by one of the engines failing to respond when McGuire increased his throttle settings when his plane began to shudder as it neared the stall speed. As you probably already know, if an engine on a P-38 were to, for some reason fail or not supply normal power while the plane is at or near the stall speed, then the plane will snap roll to an inverted position as it was reported happened to Major McGuire. The two surviving witnesses stated that McGuire had reduced throttle in order to make a tighter turn to gain the angle on the Japanese plane [basic momentum idea] that was attacking Weaver, and that he increased throttle as the plane shuddered near the stall speed, and at that point, the plane instantly rolled inverted and crashed."
Some have questioned how you would know from outside observation what a pilot is doing with his throttles, but there are very visible clues like a puff of exhaust smoke and the appearance of the propeller disc:
I believe they are correct, and that adding power killed him with a bizarre violent inverted stall, not typical of a P-38.
Many WWII pilots, not all, but on all fronts and using all types, fought at 60-70% throttle while turning constantly (see the Erich Brunotte interview on Fw-190D-9 engine management at 1300;
https://youtu.be/kOuVqP89058?si=x88oIoUkWXLpoNod "We used 0.9 to 1.2 ATA (on the 190D-9: 1.9 ATA max.) We hardly ever used full power, and not in turning combat").
As to the 190 out-turning exclusively at low speed and low power the Spitfire, that is just a fact, and the "Science" is simply at odds with reality.
-Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 37, November 4, 1943: "
The FW-190 will inevitably offer turning battle at
a minimum speed."
-Johnny Johnson (top Spitfire ace) My duel with the Focke-Wulf:
"With wide-open throttles I held the Spitfire
[V] in the tightest of turns. I could not see him, for he was gaining on me: In another couple of turns he would
have me in his sights. I asked the Spitfire for all she had in the turn [but he stayed with me]. It could only be a
question of time."
-James E. Reed 33 rd FG (P-40F, Casablanca): "
The FW-190 was tough to out-turn. I could out-turn the 109, but
it was hard to do. I, at times, had to drop a few degrees of flaps and slow down to out-turn it. I understand that
the FW-190 was harder to get away from than the 109."
-RCAF John Weir interview for Veterans Affairs: "
The Hurricane was more maneuverable than the Spit. But
the Focke-Wulf could turn the same as we could, and they kept on catching up, you know."
-Osprey Spit MkV aces 1941-45, Ch. 3: "
Never had I seen [Me-109s] stay and fight it out as these Focke-Wulf
pilots were doing. We lost 8 to their one that day..."
219 kg/m 2 vs 146 kg/m 2
-Audio from the past [E16], Pierre Clostermann (18 kills, 432 RAF missions): At 12:40"
And then there are the legends... Aaaah the legends…
Legends are hard to kill. One of those legends is that the Spitfire turned better than the Messerschmitt 109, or
the FW-190. Well that is a good joke... Why? First and foremost, in a turning battle, the speed goes down and
down, and there comes a time, when the speed has gone down below 200 knots, that the Me-109 turns inside the Spitfire.
View: https://youtu.be/c2zdA9TcIYo?si=Co4bBurkhQmxM05r