Galland, Molders, Oesau and Wick....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
0tzsTLd.jpg

759664b2f809d156fa1104dab51733b2.jpg

Bf 109 E-4 Oesau.jpg

messerschmitt-bf-109e-4-wknr-5433-oblt-helmut-wick-3jg-2-august-1940.jpg

Did Oesau fly his E-4 "White 13", during the Battle of Britain without the yellow markings, or he receive the machine after the fact? 🤨🤔

IMG_20220619_172305.jpg

Adolf Galland, 03/08/40: 17
Werner Mölders, 03/08/40: 40
Walter Oesau, 03/08/40: 21
Helmut Wick, 03/08/40: 14

According to the caption of the pic of Oesau's kite W.Nr 1432 was taken in August 1940 ..

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-7.JG51-White-13-Walter-Oesau-WNr-1432-France-19-Aug-1940-01.jpg

Also I have some doubt about the patch on the rudder. IMHO, instead of the red colour it could be the yellow or green or blue one rather. But I might be wrong.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-7.JG51-White-13-Walter-Oesau-WNr-1432-France-19-Aug-1940-02.jpg

That patch of red, or whatever it might be, seem to be of a lighter shade than the yellow nose and top of the rudder as well....? 🤨🤔
Old worn yellow maybe? 🤨🤔

No.. I would say. The lighter shade of the patch is caused of the orthochromatic type of the photographic material. I mean the negative or the paper.. In a such case the red and yellow are of the same very dark shade while the blue is light . See the pic of the Spitfire below .. please note the yellow , red and blue of the flash and roundels.
In the pic with the tail of the 'White 13" the first and fifth victories were scored over the French kites. The marking rings are dark while the center dots are light. It is because the French roundel has the reveresed colours ( red/blue ) then the RAF one ( blue/red ) . Am I right? The other victory markings have the rings light and the center disks dark. It indictates the orthochromatic film as well. Additionally the bottom part of the JG emblem was of the red colour too. It is the same dark as the yellow on the engine coling and the tail tip. And that's the reason I think the patch was of the green or blue ... because these colours look lighter when the kind of photograpchic material is used. If you compare the shade of the blue colour of the RAF roundels in the victory markings and the tinge of the colour of the patch you may notice that these look the same.

Spitfire-MkIIa-RAF-616Sqn-QJX-L.H-Casson-P7753-Tangmere-1941-01.jpg

That's correct my friend. If you have a look at the fin flash and roundels of the Spitfire it can be noticed. Additionally the orthochromatic film makes the blue colours appear lighter than the red and yellow. The patch on the rudder is lighter than the yellow of the fuel marking and the red in the JG emblem what indicates a different colour than the red one. What is more the red in the markings of the scored victories is also darker than the patch. The tone of it is closer to the blue in the RAF roundels of the victory markings and the blue of the fin flash of the Spitfire.

Spitfire-.jpg

Bf-109E4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back