Galland's Bf109E-4 early September 1940?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi Guys!

First of all, my apologies for yet another Galland thread! I know there is a wealth of information and photos already on here, but it all gets very, very confusing as quite a lot of info from different sources is unclear or contradictory...

My question is this: What, exactly, did Galland's Bf109E-4 look like in early September 1940? Let's say the first two weeks of September 1940? Was it the famous W.Nr 5819? Did it have the Mickey Mouse? And what of the capped spinner?

I'm sure you guys will be able to clarify!

Thanks!

In short without going to notes, Galland took possession of 5819 around the 7th Sept 1940, on 23rd of Sept when he claimed his 40th victory the aircraft did not have the mickey mouse badge at this point, nor did it have the telescopic sight fitted. At this early time it would not have had the capped spinner. It had standard 71/02/65 camo, the rudder had yellow paint above and below the 40 victories and as this yellow had been applied the nose would certainly have been yellow also.

The aircraft used up until he took possession of 5819 was 5398, very few shots of this aircraft exist and only partials at that.

Thanks Wayne, EXACTLY what I was after! You're a legend!

One more quick question-am I correct to say at this stage it still used 87 octane fuel, and not the c3 fuel you see on later photos of this machine?

Last edited:
Good question.....5819 had the DB601N engine IIRC so probably c3 from delivery.

Yes. Galland first flew it on 7th September.

Some fuel triangles at this time simply stated the octane rating,100 for the DB 601 N,as "natural" 100 octane fuel (C2) was still available along with the synthetic C-3.
It might be worth checking for 5819.

Steve

Hi Guys!

First of all, my apologies for yet another Galland thread! I know there is a wealth of information and photos already on here, but it all gets very, very confusing as quite a lot of info from different sources is unclear or contradictory...

My question is this: What, exactly, did Galland's Bf109E-4 look like in early September 1940? Let's say the first two weeks of September 1940? Was it the famous W.Nr 5819? Did it have the Mickey Mouse? And what of the capped spinner?

I'm sure you guys will be able to clarify!

Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean and that was why I tried to do a thread that would have all the pics and info in one spot. Wayne has been fantastic with the info provided. I don't know if you've seen it but....

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/gallands-bf-109s-17889.html

Thanks guys- as always, excellent info and much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back