Gate guardian P-47 and P-51 in Pittsburgh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

racerguy00

Airman
Oct 5, 2006
NW PA
I was using Google maps and my young son asked if I could show him Pittsburgh International Airport since he also love planes and it's not far away. When we zoomed in, we happened to zoom right in on what's obviously a P-51 and P-47 along with some early jets along an entranceway to the Air Force Reserve base on the grounds of Pitt International.

I never knew that these aircraft were there and they appear on the map to be in a restricted area behind a checkpoint and possibly out of sight of the public. Does anyone know anything about these aircraft? Also, just to the east of these there are a few F-15s on the tarmac. They give a good size comparison.

i believe they are nonflying copies at least the 51. there was a p51 on a pedestal for many years but back some 20 or 25 years ago they sold it to someone. part of the deal was he was to furnish them a fibreglass replica. i didnt know what the deal is on the p47. also looks like a f86, a phantom and something else is along the road. am going to have drop over there and see if i can get in to take a looksie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back