Gauge dials/plates (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spindrift63

Recruit
Nov 23, 2022
Hi, we found these two gauge dials/plates in my wife's grandfather's military service documents etc.
Could someone i.d the aircraft they came from?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_110832_859.jpg
    IMG_20221111_110832_859.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
The left dial seems to be the part of a fuel gauge relay while the left one seems to be the part of a a fuel indicator. The inscriptions at both of them suggest the French language. So these may be from a French kite or car.

I would advise caution with any old instruments, particularly exposed dials like those. It is possible that they have Radium or similar paint on the markings. It can be dangerous if in close contact or if pieces break off. You can research the problem online.

Eng

The left dial seems to be the part of a fuel gauge relay while the left one seems to be the part of a a fuel indicator. The inscriptions at both of them suggest the French language. So these may be from a French kite or car.
Thanks Wurger

I would advise caution with any old instruments, particularly exposed dials like those. It is possible that they have Radium or similar paint on the markings. It can be dangerous if in close contact or if pieces break off. You can research the problem online.

Eng
Good advice, thanks

Ln401 is a french plane Loire-Nieuport LN401
I think that's more of a coincidence. Since instruments are usually "standard parts" where one instrument may be used on several different aircraft, I don't see the manufacturer producing a custom dial face on one instrument. There's always an exception (especially with French aircraft) but as stated I think this might be a coincidence.

Mano carburant = [manomètre] carburant = fuel pressure, in grammes per square centimeter.

Jaugeur essence = fuel capacity gauge

And ResR SupRE = réservoir supplémentaire = additional fuel tank (in liters)

G.M. is the manufacturer.

I think these dials are from a french Loire- Nieuport LN 401, a two-seat dive bomber specially designed for the Aéronavale.

The Caudron 635 single-engined (as was the LN 401) was equiped with a "Mano carburant GM 0 - 600" and a "Jaugeur essence GM 0 - 212". See :

Regards

Alain

Last edited:

Eng
In Benton Harbor/St Joseph Michigan during WW2 girls painted instrument dials with radium paint, they would lick their brushes to make the tip pointy, many cases of mouth cancer ensued..

In Benton Harbor/St Joseph Michigan during WW2 girls painted instrument dials with radium paint, they would lick their brushes to make the tip pointy, many cases of mouth cancer ensued..

Yes, I think the Radioactive dial markings are very dangerous. However, much less of a problem in a sealed instrument. As I mentioned, it is a serious issue and there is lots of information online.

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back