GB-51 1/48 Mitsubishi J8M Shusui - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kyushuj7w

Airman 1st Class
Username: Kyushuj7w
First name: Ken
Category: Intermediate ?
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: FIne Molds
Model Type: J8M1
Aftermarket addons: None planned at the moment

The Mitsubishi J8M Shūsui "Autumn Water", used as a poetic term meaning "Sharp Sword" deriving from the swishing sound of a sword was a Japanese World War II rocket-powered interceptor aircraft closely based on the German Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet. Built as a joint project for both the Navy and the Army Air Services, it was designated J8M (Navy) and Ki-200 (Army). Estimates are 7 were built or in final stages. 2-3 were sent to the USA.

This kit will be hopefully a bit simpler and get me back into building again. I built its ME-163 cousin years ago so this will make a nice companion. TBD if I go with test flight orange or some form of IJN green. I'll need to do a little research to see if one was ever painted this color I do not believe this to be the case. Only one left in the world is in Chino.

Nice box art. I am not sure if Fine Molds boxes their kits with the English language. I got a group of Fine Molds kits many years ago from a Japanese source. Prices have shot up a lot since then. This was the 2000 rebox of the orignal 1990's kit. Mitsubishi J8M1 Shusui, FineMolds FB19 (2014)

IMG_3104.jpg

The kit is bagged, with the instructions. The box is larger than necessary thinking back to a thread I saw on this site or another about freight costs and shipping a lot of air becoming an added expense.

IMG_3105.jpg

The instructions and other information is all in Japanese except for color suggestions but being a simpler kit there should be no serious issues.

IMG_3108 (1).jpg

I'm sure this is a great history but a lot is available elsewhere.

Parts look crisp, not a lot of flash. Will need care removing from the sprues.
I guess a trip to my last remaing bricks and sticks hobby house is in order for some new exacto blades and to see if that orange/ yellowish shade is available. .
IMG_3106.jpg

Some suggested paint schemes.
IMG_3109 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Kikka kit but its been a while since I've built anything. I can't believe how long its been. Where is the time going !!!!!!!!! Slowly getting my building space back after the basement got trashed with a water leak and the wife taking it over to store "stuff" to the point I could no longer walk around down there. Famous last words . I'll just keep this stuff here for a little while I promise :)

Last edited:
I have the Kikka kit but its been a while since I've built anything. I can't believe how long its been. Where is the time going !!!!!!!!! Slowly getting my building space back after the basement got trashed with a water leak and the wife taking it over to store "stuff" to the point I could no longer walk around down there. Famous last works . I'll just keep this stuff here for a little while I promise :)
Yep. I designed and build a home that has 1000's of sqft of storage area. Yes, thousands! Full. I have to constantly reclaim my small build area from the decorating Nazi. I, fortunately, have an area that is within the heated/AC space. Ahhhh! For now.....

I did a quick search on FineMolds for their line and availability. They seem to have a great line, albeit a bit on the pricey side. Your input on the cost being justified would be welcome. This color would warm the heart of any Tenn. fan, maybe be close enough for Texas??

1628470418587.png

My local hobby store gave me the web address of his supplier. I can't order direct, but I can look (and it is very fully stocked) and let him know what I want. The prices are even or less then most of the other big online sources, there is no shipping, and you are keeping a valuable resource around.

I can't imagine how sure the test pilots were of their ability and luck to test fly a Japanese copy of a German rocket plane that killed so many of it's pilots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back