**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Bf 109G-6/AS, Finland - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A real PITA but that would work I suppose. Would have to use one of the stack sets to replace. When experimenting with a set of those I managed to destroy the top overlay. Those eduard decals are sure thin and fragile, not taking to kindly to being pushed around. Like to immediately stick where placed. They sure do lay down and disappear great though.
Are those the new ones with the upper film to be removed? Like on the Zero kit.

This is no reason to withdraw from the GB. Hopefully Eduard will step up as it seems to be a decal issue.
I do have that G-10. Could, as stated, substitute it? Probably the same molds, so I may just try that 'blind fold' build challange!! But I suspect Eduard will respond in a timely manner, either verifying it is correct or send a new set of correct decals. Afterall there are weeks left....

Why not soak the applied swastica off and move back it onto the decal paper? Then clean the surface by washing up. And then using a masking tape for making of the discks for applying of the white coat. And finaly, re-applying of the decal markings.

Why not soak the applied swastica off and move back it onto the decal paper? Then clean the surface by washing up. And then using a masking tape for making of the discks for applying of the white coat. And finaly, re-applying of the decal markings.
Great idea old friend and the perfect solution but it would require quite a lot of skill, patience and luck to pull all that off. I've a feeling Ralph would rather wait on Eduard coming through with clarification on the decals or new decals. :D

Well the good news is that Eduard's has proven to be a responsive company as antisipated. To wit, received this at 3:22 CST:

aaa.png
Petra Šolcová (Eduard Support)

Mar 10, 2023, 10:22 GMT+1

Hello Ralph, I will check with the decal dept. Seems the decal is missing the white underlayer. Please, let me know your address, as soon as I have the resolution from the decal dept. Apologies for the trouble caused.
Have a nice day, thank you for your patience
Petra Solcova
Eduard M.A. customer support

Well the good news is that Eduard's has proven to be a responsive company as antisipated. To wit, received this at 3:22 CST:

View attachment 710573 Petra Šolcová (Eduard Support)

Mar 10, 2023, 10:22 GMT+1

Hello Ralph, I will check with the decal dept. Seems the decal is missing the white underlayer. Please, let me know your address, as soon as I have the resolution from the decal dept. Apologies for the trouble caused.
Have a nice day, thank you for your patience
Petra Solcova
Eduard M.A. customer support
Expected nothing less from them. They have a very good reputation for taking care of their customers.

I suppose a good soaking, or two, of 'MARK FIT Strong' will allow me to remove the two decals that I did apply, and not destroy any of the work already done? I have coated with Tamiya clear to apply the decals. Or is there a simpler way?

Great service from Eduard. I suspect you are getting a new sheet. Another thing you could do is to leave the decals on, mask and paint a white disc over them and then apply the broken swastika alternates over that. The downside is that this may get a bit thick.

Great service from Eduard. I suspect you are getting a new sheet. Another thing you could do is to leave the decals on, mask and paint a white disc over them and then apply the broken swastika alternates over that. The downside is that this may get a bit thick.
I did apply the Mark Fit and it loosened the top layer of the decal, a clear sheet. However, the colors remain. They did not seem to want to desolve with anything that I wanted to put on the clear coat. I suspect the replacement decals will have the proper white backing so these should apply over any color issues left over. If I'm careful I should be able to overlay and not have any of the old one showing? The color left seems really thin and has melded into the opanel lines so should be no problem. We shall see.

I did apply the Mark Fit and it loosened the top layer of the decal, a clear sheet. However, the colors remain. They did not seem to want to desolve with anything that I wanted to put on the clear coat. I suspect the replacement decals will have the proper white backing so these should apply over any color issues left over. If I'm careful I should be able to overlay and not have any of the old one showing? The color left seems really thin and has melded into the opanel lines so should be no problem. We shall see.
That's the peel of top layer that's supposed to keep them from breaking up. That was what I wondered if it had! Ok, now to SAND BLASTING them off! Oh sorry, I'm supposed to be helping.

And so the wait begins (for the arrival of the replacement decals). All shiny and no place to go. It will give me some time to try and 'improve' the fuselage 'blotching'. I've seen builds with this and it's not obvious it was achieved with an airbrush, but maybe, a very skilled one. I'll work on them.
GB57 Bf 109 decal wait port.jpg

GB57 Bf 109 decal wait starboardt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back