GB-62 1/48 Spitfire Vc Trop - Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Work from yesterday and today included making the fuselage seams disappear and getting the wings on.

First an overview of how things looked about an hour ago after adding the wings. See anything wrong?

24060302.jpg

Close-ups of the wing joints reveal an excellent fit.

24060303.jpg
24060304.jpg
24060306.jpg

Here's the fuselage seam, now smoothed out:

24060305.jpg

It wasn't until I got to the stage of adding the one-piece elevator that I panicked after realizing that I had prepared and glued in the wrong horizontal stabs, one of the downsides of getting so many optional parts that are not to be used (see first photo). I incorrectly glued in the ones meant for the later mark Spitfires with the larger horn balances so I ripped out the stabs (fortunately the glue was still curing), quickly glued the proper ones together, and inserted them into the slots. I was glad that the still-soft glue hadn't made a mess of the joints and so the proper ones went in fine along with the elevator. I did, however, have a mishap with the glue and accidently got a droplet on the vertical stab so you can see a smudge of surface primer there that will now need to fully cure and get sanded smooth.

24060301.jpg

And here's where a fit issue did creep in. The large Vokes filter assembly did not fit well and would have needed excessive force to get it to sit flat on the bottom as seen in this dry-fit:

24060307.jpg

The problem stems from the fact that the thing is made up of three pieces where 2 full halves would have been better. As it is, the angle that rear section makes with the front part is too flat and so the filter won't fit into the slot cleanly. To remedy this, I cut open the glue joint to allow the thing to flex:

24060308.jpg

Then I glued and clamped it in place and filled the cuts and the remaining gap at the back.

24060309.jpg

It's still not perfect but a lot better than when I started. Some careful filing should get the profile flat against the underside of the wing.

Thanks again for following along.

Good catch on the stabs and looks like a good solution on the intake. Right now I'm preparing an Italeri/Special Hobby Mk.Vc and the intake fit is horrendous. I've got the fix but there are other issues with the kit as well

Thanks guys. Anyone building this kit might want to leave off the back end of the filter until the lower cowl intake is fitted rather than gluing it all together first as the instructions say.

Anyone care to guess what colour to paint the inner gear doors and u/c struts? Silver? Azure Blue? Sky Blue? Eduard says silver.

Thanks guys. Not much further ahead I'm afraid as you've all picked one of the three choices! Going to need to do some more reading on this. The betting money is on this aircraft having received the mid stone/dark brown uppers before leaving the UK and then having dark blue applied over top on the USS Wasp. I don't know yet but I suspect light blue was applied with the desert uppers and then left on the bottom during the repaint on the Wasp. I THINK Azure Blue came later once it was realized the sky was much bluer but I don't know for sure and need to read up on that.

Could the painting of these aircraft be mentioned in surviving logs of U.S.S. Wasp?
Maybe but apparently not found yet. Theories abound that the dark blue uppers were an RAF paint brought on board or an experimental US Navy colour. I have to admit I have never heard of the light blue cclour before this build. Sky, yes. Azure Blue, yes. Medium Sea Grey, yes but I've never heard of the Sky Blue til now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back