GB-63 1/48 Macchi C.202 "Folgore" - Stormy Weather

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Haseawa
Model Type: Macchi C.202
Aftermarket addons: Brassin Wheel Wells, Brassin Exhausts

Well, it's August 1 and Stormy Weather is here. I wanted to do another Italian subject with an interesting camo scheme so chose the old 1/48 Hasegawa C.202 Folgore ("Thunderbotl") kit for this project.

I've always liked the sleek lines of this family of aircraft so getting one for my collection was not a hard decision. The kit is the only one I know of for this subject in 1/48 and suffers a few issues that I will fix with aftermarket parts which are on their way to me as we speak. The kit's exhaust stubs are a joke and the wheel wells, which enable a full view of the back of the engine, could do with some upgrades so I got the resin replacements for these areas. Cockpit PE upgrades were out of stock so I didn't get those - I'll likely pose the model with a closed canopy anyway.

The kit features two schemes, one of which carries the dreaded "smoke ring" camouflage. I'm up for the challenge to give these a go with my airbrush, however the kit decals for this scheme are not the correct colour so I'll have to come up with a fix. Here's the scheme I'll be attempting (photo screen grab from Britmodeller site):

The aircraft is serial number MM9083 and was flown by Maggiore Andrea Favini, CO of 153 Gruppo in September 1942. Some photos exist that would confirm the black lettering and blue boundary on the squadron patch as opposed to Hasegawa's choice of red for both but I'll worry about fixing those when I get there.

Love it! Someday I'll find one I can afford. The smoke rings. I would assume these were not applied based on any official 'pattern' as say the Luftwaffe or British standards, and if so then applying them as you go will take some pressure off. Or are you really going to replicate the pattern that is on MM9083? Interesting, the wrap around camo colors on the wing leading edges!

Ghosts of War hanks for the pics.

The pattern was random. I have good reference pics and will try to emulate the pattern within reason. Probably lay it out with light pencil lines first then follow up with the brush. Might do it before the wings are assembled to the fuselage too so I can get in to the tight areas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread