GB 70 Start

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IL-16 or I-16 ... asking because these were two different kites and the Il-16 doesn't fit the GB for sure.

Edit .. OK. I found your thread for the GB43. It is the 1/32 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 am I right? Actually the assembling fits the Zombie GB but if all guys here agree I may move the GB 43 thread to the folder and edit the title.
 
IL-16 or I-16 ... asking because these were two different kites and the Il-16 doesn't fit the GB for sure.

Edit .. OK. I found your thread for the GB43. It is the 1/32 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 am I right? Actually the assembling fits the Zombie GB but if all guys here agree I may move the GB 43 thread to the folder and edit the title.
I didn't even remember I had the Zombie GB, to finished, although as you can see I couldn't make any progress either.

If that doesn't work, no problem, I'll open it in Start to Finish or even in GB43 in its own theme.
 
I've got three Curtiss P-36 in 1/72 from different brands. Aoshima, Monogram, and, though not quite in my possession, Revell. The Aoshima is the worst of the lot. More crude toy than faithful reproduction. I remember building the Monogram and Revell kits back in the '70s. Monogram was a bit clunky. Revell seemed best of the lot. Thinking of doing a H-75-6 in Norwegian colors.
Aircraft Photo of 439 | Curtiss Hawk 75A-6 | Norway - Air Force | AirHistory.net #378394 https://share.google/uJb6lco9LXWfafQZT
Hmm. Technically not in service as the Norwegian Hawks were under assembly at Kjeller and only a few were complete when captured by the Germans.
 
Last edited:
I've got three Curtiss P-36 in 1/72 from different brands. Aoshima, Monogram, and, though not quite in my possession, Revell. The Aoshima is the worst of the lot. More crude toy than faithful reproduction. I remember building the Monogram and Revell kits back in the '70s. Monogram was a bit clunky. Revell seemed best of the lot. Thinking of doing a H-75-6 in Norwegian colors.
Aircraft Photo of 439 | Curtiss Hawk 75A-6 | Norway - Air Force | AirHistory.net #378394 https://share.google/uJb6lco9LXWfafQZT
Hmm. Technically not in service as the Norwegian Hawks were under assembly at Kjeller and only a few were complete when captured by the Germans.
Just need confirmation that this is acceptable under the rubrics of the GB.
 
If it was operational by June 25 (link says April 40) then it would fit by the build criteria. Thinking back to when I wrote that and my thoughts about what to build; I think I should have written "operating in the Spanish or French theater". Now, I'm finding out I'm a bit of a harda$$ when enforcing (my) rules. There are French Hawks.
 
It does fit the description; however, unless you are desperate to build a Norway bird or there aren't any available French markings then, I would prefer but not require it. When I start a project, I often have many layers of why I picked a specific build. I should have been specific that it does meet the criteria and is allowed. That confusion is on me.
 
I have a few things in the stash that would work but I won't be able to start until mid August. A month and a half is pushing it for me so I think I'll be sitting this one out
 
I was surprised too, because I do not see a straight connection between Spanish civil war, and French campaign, and a strong one between Polish September'39 and France'40.
Thanks, Hero, but this information is bit late for my PZL P-11C model idea.
There is "another thing coming"!
 
I was surprised too, because I do not see a straight connection between Spanish civil war, and French campaign, and a strong one between Polish September'39 and France'40.
Thanks, Hero, but this information is bit late for my PZL P-11C model idea.
There is "another thing coming"!
As a link between the two wars, we can consider the interests of Great Britain in both regions, which led to Durkheim... following geopolitics.
 
I have added some context about dates to this cycle of GB in GBs 66 to 73 - Finalized Schedule. This is the new text.

I see that I have defined "in WWII" two different ways in this build cycle. See 67 and 72. September 1 39 is when the western world declared war but the fighting had been active in China for years. Going forward, for me, in WWII means starting on September 1 39 to September 2 45. No one came to China's aid making that it a regional conflict.

This is not my unilateral decision; if there are any other dates, I will consider any argument that is brought up. My choice of the dates is it was not really a world war until every major political and military power had declared a side and committed to battle. Before that it was just politics and the fighting opponents were limited. For War in the Pacific, I wanted to allow aircraft active in the runup to WWII. The end dates (VE and VJ Day) are the official signing of the surrender documents.

I hope I've shed some light on my thinking and my appreciation of the task I've taken on. I really enjoy the whole process and want to set up interesting and carefully, fully defined criteria for the GB.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back