George Benton RAMC Dunkirk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hi stella

no it wasn't me. My friend chris ("Njaco") was the person that found that information and posted it. I have an entry 1 june 1940 in that thread for the events affecting the BEF and French forces trapped in the encirclement on that day. But I did not mention your grandfathers name in my account.

By 1 June the allies were being placed under extreme pressure and the commanders on the spot were doubtful they could hold the perimeter much longer. At the evacuation points, the ships and embarkation points were by this stage under near continuous attack. It is not an exaggeration to equate what was happening to Dante's vision of hell. Despite this, the defenders, both French and British, held their nerve and fought hard to keep the germans at bay for several more days. it was, as they say, one of those miraculous moments in history.

Yes I read your work - it's amazing where you get the info from and I listened to the broadcast on the internet of the american war correspondents accounts last night - such an amazing vivid account of that day.
How can I contact your friend Njaco? Or could you ask him to contact me please?

Last edited:
Welcome Stella. If you need any help just feel free to ask. Our staff and membership will try and help however we can.

Thank you for your warm welcome I feel that in the few short days I have been on the site you have all been so helpful ... I'm intregued about all the little points and different trophies you have!
You will have to forgive my complete naiveity
As I'm working all this out - I do not have any
Information to join in with I was as you say just passing through when I saw your website discussing Dunkirk ... hope you don't mind if I stick around!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stella, ive sent the following PM for you to Chris

"Hi Chris

There is a new member called Stella Thornton interested in contacting about an entry in the this Day in Europe thread. Her grandfather is a sgt Benton and his name appears in the 1 june entry (post 899 I think). When you are about again, can you try and contact her please. There is a separate thread dealing with the issue ("George Benton RAMC Dunkirk").

Thank in advance

Regards

Michael"

Last edited:
Stella, ive sent the following PM for you to Chris

"Hi Chris

There is a new member called Stella Thornton interested in contacting about an entry in the this Day in Europe thread. Her grandfather is a sgt Benton and his name appears in the 1 june entry (post 899 I think). When you are about again, can you try and contact her please. There is a separate thread dealing with the issue ("George Benton RAMC Dunkirk").

Thank in advance

Regards

Michael"
Thank you ❤️

That thread "This day in the War in Europe" was a project worth doing I think, if it can help in ways like that. It was a privilege to contribute to that effort, I'm proud of what Chris and I, and others, achieved in that thread.
I have just written to Njaco and thanked him
I would also like to thank you so much for doing the project - because otherwise I would not now be able to read the wonderful things my Grandad did during operation Dynamo - Dunkirk.
I have (hopefully) managed to attach a couple of but I have from a Sunday magazine dated 1979 for you to read - I hope you find it interesting.
My son is also called George after my Grandad because I was so proud of him.
Please accept my warmest thanks for keeping the past alive and accessible.
Stella

Attachments

• IMG_5409.JPG
    IMG_5409.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5410.JPG
    IMG_5410.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5411.JPG
    IMG_5411.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5412.JPG
    IMG_5412.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5414.JPG
    IMG_5414.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
no worries. Hope you enjoy reading that thread. It was a monumental task, but worth it. I got more out of that effort than I put into it.
Have you read the attachments I sent you??
From a Sunday paper back in 1979 - about my Grandfather? Wondered what you thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back